Two confirmed hints towards the 2016 releases

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
Brett H

Two confirmed hints towards the 2016 releases

Post by Brett H » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:05 pm

Some news from Richard Kaufman as a part of visiting the FISM convention. He knows of 3 effects. He was really excited about one of them (no details). And these two confirmed tidbits:

1. The 2016 line will NOT feature a Lubor Fiedler effect

2. One effect will be a utility item.

Which is interesting because, if I recall correctly, the last Tenyo utility item was Trap Box.

With that in mind, what utility items does Tenyo have and COULD have?

So far we have:
Trap Box (rattle box)
Sun and Moon Tubes (pea can)
Silk to Hanky (trick thumb)
Card Case/ Telepathy Box (card...disappear-er?)
Phantoma (Glorpy/handkerchief)

Since I'm not as privy to what is all out there, what utility items COULD Tenyo cover next?
Where's my colon?!

Richard Kaufman

Re: Two confirmed hints towards the 2016 releases

Post by Richard Kaufman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:44 pm

"Utility Item" has a wider definition in that while a particular prop may be designed to do only one trick, it in fact can be used for many other tricks.

AlexBrazil

Post by AlexBrazil » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:14 pm

Oh, Brett, I was also very intrigued when I saw Kaufman's post. I did not understand what a utility item could be. Your examples made it a little bit more clear.

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:37 pm

For example, the specimen case made for "Magic Butterfly" is a utility item because it can switch many different things, as Simon has so beautifully demonstrated with his compass version.

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:37 am

Well I did find this page.

After a rough Google translate it looks like we have:

Future Jigsaw - A box with a jigsaw puzzle is shown. The spectator is asked to pick a suit of face cards (free choice). When the box is opened the puzzle matches the suit that the spectator picked.

Four Dimensional Container - A white plastic container with three compartments is shown. A different color sponge dog is in each compartment.A spectator chooses a color and the container is covered. When it is opened the dogs have all changed to one color.

Phantom Hankercheif - Looks like it uses a smartphone

Tiny Plunger - I guess this is from the World's Best Magic Series.

Not very good at translating so if someone wants to do a better job and make some correction please be my guest ;)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:54 am

Wow, they've gone for cheap options this year it seems. Tiny plunger is an AMAZING effect but I picked up ten of the plungers to use as giveaways when I do the wedding, and they were 9p each. They aren't gimmicked so I hope Tenyo have done what they do best and give this one a twist.
The puzzle idea seems cool. I've been working on a similar idea where you have a seemingly random set of marks on a tangram and they can be assembled to reveal several different outs that each look like the only possible outcome. It's not been working very well so far! My guess with this is that if you lift the lid off, you'll see say a red suit and if you tip the puzzle out you'll see black. If you lay a club and a spade on top,of each other they overlap perfectly on the bottom half, as do a heart and a diamond (if drawn correctly) so perhaps this comes into play too, where a key piece is either palmed, moved or left. Either way, a cardboard jigsaw is going to be cheap to make again, hopefully there's a twist here too.
The dog box thing sounds cool, perhaps this is the utility device, where you can switch out similar small items. It's good that there are four choices rather than three, you could combine it with magic butterfly or even the jigsaw effect with the four suits, there is a trick called pips a poppin which comes with sponge suit pips, once they see the jigsaw change to their chosen suit, all four sponge pips could change too. You could even use the cards in tiny plunger too. Maybe start with the tiny plunger trick and end with them naming an ace. The plunger can hold it and prop it up during the next two tricks. If you were really bold, during the other effects at an opportune moment you could switch out the deck to a deck with the four suits separated, and make sure the chosen suit is on top of the deck. At the end of the trick direct attention back to the deck and your tiny plunger (which can be your assistant throughout the routine) will finish by pulling all of the chosen suit out of the deck. Use the plunger, lift off the thirteen cards, pocket the rest and show they are all the chosen suit.
Smartphone apps are risky, they will be the next Telestar in 10 years! There are a couple of them I've used quite a bit but generally the reaction is "oh that's a clever app" I have both of Tenyos current apps and I have to say I never use them. Penn and teller did a great one and I use my pet boris when I'm out and everyone's had a drink but generally they aren't great. HOWEVER perhaps Tenyo have cracked it and invented a handkerchief which also has something sewn inside which can interact with the screen, or a handheld Bluetooth button which you can use to input say a chosen card with out ever touching your phone after its placed on the table. I tried to make a smartphone based effect for Tenyo called iTenyo but they weren't interested which was a shame as I was really pleased with it. I'll put the video up on YouTube now as it's been over a year since I submitted it. Now that WOULD have been the next Telestar! Any way back to the 2016 smartphone trick, If it's just an app and a hanky that's another very cheap effect to make. Who knows, it may be that they are cheaper to buy this year too, hooray!!
Excited as I am every year to start getting these little nuggets of info over the next few months, this thread will become very busy :)
Now you see me...

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:22 am

Actually looking at the prices, this years tricks are more expensive than last years.
I neve r tried the tiny plunger trick bur the one that penguin sells comes with a gimmicked plunger.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3491
Seems like this is the version that Tenyo may be selling.although i'm not sure how tenyo can sell their version for $20 while penguin's goes for $40.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:51 am

hmm, if not heard of a gimmicked version. I would imagine it takes some of the work out for the performer. it may be magnetic with some shimmed cards. this would be a shame as the beauty of the original is that it's totally baffling because you literally just use the tiny plunger and any pack of cards. I imagine tenyo have made this more user-friendly for the younger performers which is probably a good idea for them. $40 is steep
Now you see me...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:37 am

Oh dear. From the sounds of it, it doesn't seem like I can really use any of the 2016 Tenyo in my hospital routines. they don't jump out like the 2015 line did.

At least not off the top of my head, they don't seem to work for me. The 'phone' trick is definitely out for me. And I'll have to look up 'Tiny Plunger'.

'Dog Box' sounds like it's the 'utility item'. Future Puzzle is kind of 'meh' to me. Sorry guys. Don't mean to be such a downer on this years lineup.

At least this way, I can save up for the 2016 redemption trick and older Tenyo.
If the 2016 redemption trick is like another 'Charisma' I'm going to throw my laptop out a window.
Where's my colon?!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:44 am

The normal plunger could be switched out with the gimmicked one so the spec will not be able to "suck" the card with the gimmick plunger. The performer could still use the gimmicked plunger to do the routine. There is some extra handling required to make it possible. It sounds weird but it is so. Normally we switch the gimmicked with the ungimmicked but in this case, it is another way around.

But as Simon said, with the normal mobile phone plunger, we still can perform the magic, because there is another secret weapon to be prepared to make the magic happen.

By the way, thanks for Brett for the thread and Elliot for the interesting link. The Puzzle and Sponge Dogs Tricks sound interesting ;)

AlexBrazil

Post by AlexBrazil » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:01 am

I just watched the Mini Plunger video. It seems fun to perform it for a group. But will Tenyo release the same exact effect? That would be disappointing. The description of the other tricks did not catch my interest. But maybe the future videos will change my opinion. Actually, when I read the description of Mini Plunger, I thought it was stupid. But the video changed my opinion.

But, let me tell you what I was expecting. Because Kaufman is releasing his book on Tenyo, I thought the 2016 collection would be the best ever. It seems I was very wrong.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:43 am

AlexBrazil wrote:...let me tell you what I was expecting. Because Kaufman is releasing his book on Tenyo, I thought the 2016 collection would be the best ever. It seems I was very wrong.
I'm not going to lie. The 2015 line set the bar really really high. 4 GREAT effects and Lubor made one of them. 2015 might as well been called 'year of the money vacuum'. People couldn't throw their money hard enough at Tenyo.

I'm really curious to see what Tenyo does with Tiny Plunger, as it looks to be the only one I would be able to use.

The only thing I wasn't happy with in the 2015 line was the redemption trick, and that's only because I can't find a way to use it (mental magic and kids? Not so good).

I'm holding out for the redemption trick, and that won't be announced for the next 9 months. Oi vey! The wait begins!
Where's my colon?!

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:38 pm

Why are you guys judging the tricks before you've even seen clear photos of them, or adequate explanations of the effects? Personally, I would wait until September when the videos of the demonstrations at the Tenyo Festival appear on the internet before passing judgment.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:49 pm

I can't believe another year has passed.

You can see a list of Tenyo Utility Devies toward the bottom of this page.

http://funstuffonly.com/tenyo/performin ... nyo-lists/

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:25 pm

Jimmy Z wrote:Why are you guys judging the tricks before you've even seen clear photos of them, or adequate explanations of the effects? Personally, I would wait until September when the videos of the demonstrations at the Tenyo Festival appear on the internet before passing judgment.
Part of it is me building a children's show of all Tenyo and trying to see if any of the tricks would cause me to make any drastic modifications to include it (Magic Butterfly, for example), or spark some sort of an idea to construct a 4th routine.

I will agree that I should wait until the September videos; it doesn't sound like I would be able to utilize any of the Tenyo by the sound of it. 'Tiny Plunger', from what we know of it so far, sounds like the only one that I would be remotely be able to use, and I already have questions concerning it. So I'm holding off for that one.
I'm not a fan of 'Phantom Handkerchief' if it's reliable on a smartphone. I would like if we were to acquire a new handkerchief trick; just not one that's technology dependent. I can't lets kids handle a gimmicked handkerchief (from what it sounds like) because I would need to sanitize it afterwards and, more than likely, break the gimmick.

'Dog Box' sounds neat, but I won't use sponge materials in a hospital environment.

'Future Puzzle' dorsnt sound like I can implement it. I would also like to change my last guess if the 'utility item'. 'Future Puzzle', I think is the utility item. Not 'Dog Box'.
Where's my colon?!

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:06 am

I'm looking forward to the new Tenyo line.

I feel sure that there will be some "outside the box" thinking.
and now, on with the show ...

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:54 pm

I think so too but like Jimmy said it's really impossible to know until some videos come out. But we've got a while for that so in the meantime we can have fun speculating. :)

So I'm thinking what happens in the handkerchief trick is that you take a picture of the handkerchief with your phone and when you look at the picture something has changed or a ghost appears or something like that.
Any other ideas?

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:16 pm

My daughter and I were discussing each of the new Tenyo, as described. I got the idea that Phantom Handkerchief might have such a pattern on it that if you take a picture of it, it won't show up. So there's just a picture of you or someone holding it 'not holding anything'.
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:50 am

cool! like an invisibility cloak :) I'm going to buy 100 of them, make myself a poncho and walk around town. the guys in the cctv monitor rooms will just see this floating head eating chips :)
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:46 am

Now if that were true Brett, that would be just excellent!

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:45 pm

David DeTenyo wrote:Now if that were true Brett, that would be just excellent!
It would! Although I think there is something more diabolical in store, as I figure that, upon a spectator seeing something like that, they could easily point to the handkerchief and claim 'GIMMICKED!'

This is a bit interesting.

The only other thing I can think of are those crazy looking square barcodes that are scannable with a smartphones. And the handkerchief is shattered with a pattern of them. That when its scanned, a ghost pops up in the phone.
Again, I think that would draw too much attention to the handkerchief.

I wonder if Richard Kaufman has any more details about it. I don't like the premise (mainly because I don't think I'll be able to use it). But theoretically are always interesting.

Also, does anyone have an idea of the time in September when we would see demonstration videos pop up? Early? Middle? Late?
Where's my colon?!

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:09 pm

The Tenyo Magic festival is Sept.6. The new tricks are sold there so usually someone buys it and puts up some hastily made videos at that time.

Magico Japan also usually gets a couple of copies to sell on Ebay at that time also.

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:34 am

AmiAmi.com has put up the new tricks for pre order. Looks like the pictures they put up are form the poster but they are pretty good quality so you can see what the tricks actually look like.
http://slist.amiami.com/top/search/list ... ords=tenyo

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:49 am

Thanks Elliot. Future Jigsaw certainly looks like your cheap, ordinary cardboard box :P But Richard sais it's a very nice trick so looking forward to it!

The Four Dimensional Container intrigues me the most, perhaps some good old Tenyo gimmickery/cleverness? Let's hope so. Looks a lot like Prison Box doesn't it :)

Tiny Plunger: great to have this as a Tenyo trick. I've always been on the fence buying this, now there is no more need to :)

The handkerchief trick: luckaly I bought myself a Smartphone in july, never did a magic trick with it but I'm really looking forward to it. Let's hope it works like Brett says :)

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:52 am

Good find, Elliot!

And now, here comes a rain cloud!

The more I look at them, the less I like them. Tiny Plunger is really the only one I want to get.

I can't use the handkerchief worth a dog's dammit.

Speaking of dogs. I will only get it under one condition: the size of the dogs.
See, if the dogs are the size of the tiny Mr. Rabbits. You can create a routine by having one dog 'looking for his friends', and pull the other 3 from Parabox. Then introduce the 'Dog Box'. No integration, no buy (from me, at least).

Future Jigsaw. I'm not doubting that it isn't good. I'll have to see a video, and I hope to high hell that it's not a cardboard box. Need plastic to use (and sanitize) in a hospital.

Of course, I'm waiting for the videos before making a final judgment. But in comparison to the excitement I had from the 2015 line. I'm left wondering 'what happened here?'

I believe that this years line doesn't have a good range of versatility.
We do have the hint that one of them has utility. And that might help a bit. And I'm waiting for the videos, but I don't think the videos are going to help me out much.
Where's my colon?!