Tenyo: before and after Tenyoism

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
Brett H

Tenyo: before and after Tenyoism

Post by Brett H » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:50 am

I know that we all have Tenonthat we haven't put much stock into. But Tenyoism is the book to spark ingenuity in virtually every Tenyo there is--at least the T-numbered and the redemption tricks (as far as I know).

So here's my question: what Tenyo are you finally placing stock into after reading Tenyoism?
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Re: Tenyo: before and after Tenyoism

Post by SimonC » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:20 am

good question Brett! hopefully this will spark some good discussions :)
Now you see me...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:24 pm

I hope so! There was discussion in another thread about Astro Coin and some ideas from Tenyoism regarding it. And here we are!

Personally, not having Tenyoism (because I landed on Boardwalk with a hotel), I am curious if any opinions have changed about the following:

- Undercover Cube
- Ghost Card
- Magic Pop-Up
- and the notorious China Surprise
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:38 pm

I've been so mean about China surprise! I've got to the point of feeling bad now, it must have potential.
Every bad trick is a brilliant one in disguise ;)
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:40 pm

Well...I'm not in the phase that I am making stock or spares of Tenyos because I'm still trying to increase my collection that I am still missing. But in that case I would stock discontinued items with clever mechanism like wonder windows, twister, prison box etc which the price will potentially increase and for the long term investment.

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:25 am

One item I have never really used is Golden Fleece because it never worked right. Well in the book it explains why it doesn't work and how to fix it. So I'll I think I will take that one for another spin (literally).
Another one that I had never thought much of is Money Cutter. Always seemed very obvious to me but in the book it said it doesn't really work that great with paper bills and was really designed for a 1000yen bill. So I'm thinking of tracking one of those down and giving that one another chance.

And there are some pretty good tips for Undercover Cube. Unfortunately he couldn't do much with China Surprise other than to say it works great in Japanese restaurants.

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:00 am

Zig-Zag Cig was an eye opener for me. I always considered it a child's trick but after reading about in Tenyoism, I see how very wrong I was! :-/

EvanS

Post by EvanS » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:30 pm

If you are a Genii subscriber, you can see a fun presentation of the Zig Zag French Fry in the digital version of the February 2016 issue.

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:28 am

KirkW wrote:Zig-Zag Cig was an eye opener for me. I always considered it a child's trick but after reading about in Tenyoism, I see how very wrong I was! :-/
================================================================
Thanks for this post. I think you just verbalized what many others have thought/experienced.

This is a BRILLIANT trick!

I admire the quality/build of my TENYO ELITE version, but I feel strongly about the astounding effect that the original plastic Tenyo version has on people. It's almost as if this toy plastic trick should not be able to do such a magical thing.

I love the Magic Works one (Severed Skeleton) BEST! Placing the sword in the middle slot of the Skeleton and then watching it visually move to the center, is just bloody brilliant. Removing the Sword, and dumping out the whole Skeleton completely intact is astounding.

All the best, very nice, and important post,
Bob~
and now, on with the show ...

BobD
Charter Member

Post by BobD » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:20 am

These are the tricks that I did not like much before Tenyoism:
Clean Cut
Illusion Truck
Krazy Keys
Amazing Jumping Arrow from Meir Yedid

There may be more but I have not yet finished the reading book nor watch all the videos. Get them while they are still affordable.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:45 pm

BobD wrote:These are the tricks that I did not like much before Tenyoism:
Clean Cut
Illusion Truck
Krazy Keys
Amazing Jumping Arrow from Meir Yedid

There may be more but I have not yet finished the reading book nor watch all the videos. Get them while they are still affordable.
IIRC, the Krazy Keys in Tenyoism has details of Lubors handling of the trick. Is that correct?

And Illusion Truck? Color me surprised. I thought that the trick in general had some damning limitations. I don't have the trick, but I am curious how you can deviate from the stock presentation on this one.

And Clean Cut. There was an amazing routine of it on Youtube back in 2014. It had to do with cutting the end of the rope off and looping the rope around. If this is it, it's amazing to do and watch. I am curious if this the routine in Tenyoism or if it's something completely different.

But I will say that THAT routine was the reason I got Clean Cut. The video is down, but I can make a video if anyone is interested. I have the routine in my mind palace
Where's my colon?!

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:01 pm

I believe the Clean Cut routine is the one you are talking about.

The Illusion Truck routine is basically this one:

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:09 pm

Elliot W. wrote:I believe the Clean Cut routine is the one you are talking about.

The Illusion Truck routine is basically this one:

That's really nice! I am now interested in illusion Truck. Took the cumbersome handkerchief out of the equation.
Where's my colon?!

BobD
Charter Member

Post by BobD » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:03 pm

Hi Bret,

Clean Cut is one Tenyo piece that I don't use because I don't think it can fool anyone. Mechanically it is good but the effect is not that strong. After watching the scrapbook video my my opinion about it has changed. It is an underated trick and I urge our members to buy it if they don't have one.

Illusion Truck is becoming scarce to find. It may not be as good as Prison Box, Twister, Billscape, or the likes. It is one trick that seems so simple and bought only as part of a Tenyo collection. Only later did I realize that it is a utility item. It is like a Chop Cup wherein the effects are limited to your imagination.

Krazy Keys has always been a good trick. After I got the trick and learned the secret, I placed it aside. I never bothered to study the routine and presentation because of the angle problems. The original effect and the additional ideas in the video are worthy of careful study. Every Tenyo collector should have one because this Tenyo trick incorporates a lesson in misdirection.

As for the Amazing Jumping Arrow I need not say more but do youself a favor and buy one if you intend to buy Tenyoism. The prop is inexpensive and the effect shown in the video is really good.
Last edited by BobD on Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:59 am

Thanks for the tips Bob...I will start with the Amazing Jumping Arrow because I really love paddle tricks ;)

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:51 pm

BobD wrote:Hi Bret,

Clean Cut is one Tenyo piece that I don't use because I don't think it can fool anyone. Mechanically it is good but the effect is not that strong. After watching the scrapbook video my my opinion about it has changed. It is an underated trick and I urge our members to buy it if they don't have one.

Illusion Truck is becoming scarce to find. It may not be as good as Prison Box, Twister, Billscape, or the likes. It is one trick that seems so simple and bought only as part of a Tenyo collection. Only later did I realize that it is a utility item. It is like a Chop Cup wherein the effects are limited to you imagination.

Krazy Keys has always been a good trick. After I got the trick and learned the secret, I placed it aside. I never bothered to study the routine and presentation because of the angle problems. The original effect and the additional ideas in the video are worthy of careful study. Every Tenyo collector should have one because this Tenyo trick incorporates a lesson in misdirection.

As for the Amazing Jumping Arrow I need not say more but do youself a favor and buy one if you intend to buy Tenyoism. The prop is inexpensive and the effect shown in the video is really good.
===============================================================
Bob,
Thank you for this post.
I must have missed something ...
Which video has the Amazing Jumping Arrow?
Bob~

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:18 pm

Here is the link to the demo video for The Amazing Jumping Arrow :
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0bveiScAEW8

Have fun !

BobD
Charter Member

Post by BobD » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:50 am

The routine can be found in the Scrapbook video. It is the 3rd to the last trick in the video named Moving Arrow by Toru Suzuki.

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:30 pm

Duh?!?

I do have Tenyoism, but am waiting to open it.

I want to be sure that I have a few days of peace, and quiet so as to be able to digest details.