2016 redemption/+1 trick: 'Strange Biscuit'

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
Brett H

2016 redemption/+1 trick: 'Strange Biscuit'

Post by Brett H » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:21 pm

https://m.facebook.com/tenyomagic/

On their recent notifications is the new redemption trick: 'Strange Biscuit'.

Looks interesting. It looks like you're pulling a cracker out of a card. Not sure how all the cards come into play, but I might get this years trick.

I've seen tricks like this--a least with the same principle (no sure how they work), but it looks like a nice change of pace from the last few years of prediction tricks.
Not the most revolutionary thing, but Toru Suzuki is a Tenyo making juggernaut, so I trust it.

Thoughts?
Where's my colon?!

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Re: 2016 redemption/+1 trick: 'Strange Biscuit'

Post by Elliot W. » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:33 pm

Looks interesting enough. A little similar to other specials (cards and food) but a little different as well. Wonder if it is possible to get a matching bite out cookie. That way you can eat it after you produce it.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:00 pm

This looks awesome :) I love packet tricks ad this one is super visual, it should work with a range of ages too
Now you see me...

kellebotond
Charter Member

Post by kellebotond » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:22 pm

Looks great! Here is the automatic translation of the post:

Hello, Tenyo Development Department.
Ladies and gentlemen, very thank you for waiting!!
Plus 1 Campaign, this year's special magic announcement!
So far this year and is a little different, the impact of visual phenomenon.
It could be easy to share the dream, definitely noticed. Fun Magic.
-----
'strange' pocket
Vladimir Pockets in the picture was painted 3 Sheets of white card show.
Hitting the pocket and two one after another in 3 and the picture of biscuits will appear.
On to the partner and I, and this time the picture of biscuits is broken to pieces!
And the last card from the biscuits out!
Device: Toru Suzuki
-----
How do you like it? In the strange fun remember soon.
Don't do this, there is no hands!
I get it and enjoy!
Application method, PLUS 1 of the campaign, the seal is bundled in lucky me.
Old form, but basically the same.
(stamps to enclose the current is 205 yen per please note)
※" Strange Pocket ' is currently in production.
I'm very sorry, but from the end of April, we will ship one by one.
Already for your side while I am waiting for you, please.
Tenyo Rocks!!! :–)
http://www.illuziomesterei.hu

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:55 pm

Looks great (well, what I read seems great, I can't see Facebook)! I'll hopefully have it in my hands soon :)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:18 pm

Where will this be available?
Now you see me...

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:32 am

Can someone explain the ordering/purchase process?

Is there a "requirement(s" to purchase?
and now, on with the show ...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:08 am

The problem is these items are only available when you live in Japan and send in all the coupons of this years releases which are on the Japanese manuals (so you'll have to buy all this years releases for sure).
So, the best way to get hold of such a trick is asking someone who lives in Japan to send in her or his coupons or, like I did last year, send my coupons to the person in Japan, ad he will than send them to Tenyo. Tenyo sends the item to him, and he sends it back to me. Quite the hassle :geek:

I'd love to share this persons name but he asks every year not to do that ... . And getting two or more is impossible for me, unfortunately.

They do pop up on Ebay sometimes.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:45 am

David DeTenyo wrote:The problem is these items are only available when you live in Japan and send in all the coupons of this years releases which are on the Japanese manuals (so you'll have to buy all this years releases for sure).
So, the best way to get hold of such a trick is asking someone who lives in Japan to send in her or his coupons or, like I did last year, send my coupons to the person in Japan, ad he will than send them to Tenyo. Tenyo sends the item to him, and he sends it back to me. Quite the hassle :geek:

I'd love to share this persons name but he asks every year not to do that ... . And getting two or more is impossible for me, unfortunately.

They do pop up on Ebay sometimes.
Thanks for sharing David. I never realize that there is coupon exist in the manual. If I may ask further questions :

1. How is the coupon looks like ? I can find the the adv. sheet the place where we can paste stamps / coupons but I`m not sure about the all the ordering process since all written in japanese language. :?

2. If we are in Japan, will they sell it for public in the shopping malls or other shopping center ? I saw some pictures. photos that they put some +1 tricks in the display. If I can find relatives or friends who fly to Japan maybe I can ask for their help

Thanks in advance !

Best regards,
Victor

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:06 pm

You'll notice on the order form there are three squares and one of them already has a rabbit in it. That is one of the coupons. Just cut the rabbit squares out from two other orders forms and then you have three.
I don't think they don't sell it in stores. They want you to buy other Tenyo products to mail away for it.

Here's what I did last year. It was somewhat complicated but the truth is I did it just out of curiosity to see if it would actually work.

See if you lived in Japan you would have to send in the order form, coupons, and a 205 yen stamp to cover postage.

First I was able to get a 205 stamp on Ebay. Then I joined this site:
http://tensojapan.jshoppers.com

What they do is give you a Japanese address. You order things to your Japanese address and then they ship it to your foreign address.

So I just put put Japanese address on the order form and mailed it to Tenyo. Sure enough they sent the trick to the Japanese address and then I had it shipped to my USA address.

As I said a little complicated but it did work. I would do it again but I can't seem to find any 205 yen stamps anywhere. Anyone know where to buy Japanese stamps?

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:55 pm

Wow that is complicated enough. But thanks for sharing this Elliot. Appreciate it ! ;)
How about local philately store to buy Japanese stamps ? Maybe they sell unused / new stamps from every countries. But not sure about this.

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:26 pm

WoW ...

Thank to all who shared and commented.

I would think that there would be a central location to send all of the cupons from all of the new Tenyo effects. Just think of the extra business which that might generate for Tenyo.
(more single sales in order to get the redemption trick)
and now, on with the show ...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:21 am

We can only hope that Tenyo releases this +1 trick as a stand alone which you can buy without the coupons. They have done that on several occasions in the past (Illusion Scale, Magical Sneakers, ...).

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:02 pm

David DeTenyo wrote:We can only hope that Tenyo releases this +1 trick as a stand alone which you can buy without the coupons. They have done that on several occasions in the past (Illusion Scale, Magical Sneakers, ...).
The most recent remake was 2009's Magical Burger.

I think the only +1 since then that really needs a remake is 'Mind Roulette'. But I can see 'Biscuit' being remade because it strikes me as so VERY different.

I just can't wait for your review of it
Where's my colon?!

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Wed May 11, 2016 3:01 pm

Someone put up a quick video. A cute trick but I don't know if there is anything new there magic-wise.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed May 11, 2016 3:21 pm

Does that biscuit have a tag on it?!
I suppose you could hand the broken cracker card face down to speccy but 'drop' it at the same time.
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Wed May 11, 2016 10:19 pm

Nice cute trick. This reminds me to the famous Jim Pace "The Web" trick or Caterpillar Love. Nothing really new actually in my opinion but I could be wrong. The handling is classic but idea with the broken cracker is nice. I think t would be much better to remove the tag on the cracker if there is no purpose on having it. It looks already that the real cracker came from a key chain :).

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Thu May 12, 2016 1:02 am

Yeah I thought the tag was a little strange as well. There are supposed to be two performances described in the instructions. Maybe the tag has some use in the other one?
Here's another video where the trick is done simpler.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Thu May 12, 2016 1:17 am

At the 1st demo, I didn`t see that the performer "steal" the real cracker. Should be cleverly "hidden" somewhere or with sleight of hand. The 2nd one is quite obvious :)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu May 12, 2016 2:21 am

Thanks for the links Elliot.
I like it - it's something different and besides hiding/palming the real biscuit is easy to do. The first handling looks awesome by the way, I had to watch it several times to see what was exactly happening.
I wonder if these bisuits will be easy to find in Europe, because in the video they match the card biscuits and that's cool :)
Anyway, watching the video alone will help people with a basic knowledge of magic to create their own cards if they can't get a hold of the original or if they want matching biscuits with the cards if they are unavailable in their country :)

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Tue May 17, 2016 1:17 am

Gah! The second video was taken down by the user. Well okay, we'll go off the first video.

I thought that 'Strange Biscuit' would play out something like this: http://www.ellusionist.com/pop-by-steve-rowe.html.

Can someone help me with this one part that I'm absolutely stuck on? What is the point of the broken biscuit card.

Aside from my confusion over the broken biscuit card, that particular performance was done really well, but it seems a bit flourishy--even for Tenyo. The 'rolling cards', to me, seemed to draw more attention to itself than it should and I ended up watching the hands more than I was trying to enjoy what was going on. Then again, if I have grasped completely of what happens, there would seem to be a great degree in how the trick CAN actually be performed and all we saw was a really neat variant (which I'm hoping is the case).

Also, the fact that he drops the cards on the floor seems to suggest (to me) that there is some modicum of spectator involvement. For those that have this, is this the case?

And that TAG, oh man that sticks out like a sore thumb. If I get my hands on one, it's getting a visit from Mr. Xacto Knife.
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue May 17, 2016 1:37 am

Is this similar to 'this that and the other'? I love that trick
Now you see me...

Randy

Post by Randy » Wed May 18, 2016 8:53 am

The trick is based off a Japanese children's song called Magical Pocket

There is one biscuit in a jacket pocket
By tapping on the pocket, it becomes two biscuits

By tapping again it becomes three biscuits
By tapping more and more it becomes many biscuits

I want a magical pocket on my own jacket
I want biscuits from such a magical pocket

The idea is you tap your pocket and it becomes 2 biscuits because it breaks into 2 pieces.
The Buffalo Get-Together - A Close-Up Magic Convention

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed May 18, 2016 6:51 pm

Ha, that is funny Randy!

Thanks for letting us know!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:40 am

I just received this and there are indeed two routines. One with the fake biscuit lying on your lap and one where you palm it. The basic routine is the same.
By the way as mentioned before it is called Strange Pocket (the back of the cards are jeans-like back pockets ;) ), not strange biscuit. Now all that is needed to do is find biscuits who look similar to the one on the card so children can eat it at the end of this cute little trick :)