Hello Fellow Tenyo-philes!

After being approved to join this forum your first post should be a short profile about you and your Tenyo
bradtoulouse

Hello Fellow Tenyo-philes!

Post by bradtoulouse » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:44 pm

I was given access to this site over a year a go by John, but thought it was time I actually took the plunge and become a real honest-to-goodness member!

Since I don't think I posted a profile, please indilge me a few few minutes to share my Tenyo history with you!

My name is Brad Toulouse. I live in Windsor Ontario CANADA (across from Detroit Michigan).

Like many of you probably, I began my Tenyo adventure as a child, using Tenyo effects in my first shows! Silk Serenade, Crystal Tube, and Chinese Sticks played prominently in my youth performances....in fact I'm pretty sure I burned through at least three Silk Serenades before I shelved it away for more "professional" effects!

Fast forward to around the year 2000. Around that time I was operating a small magic store locally. I would purchase wholesale from Loftus Magic and at that time they wholesale distributed Tenyo. They had about 30 or so effects in their catalog. As well I was good friends with the owners of the old Romig Magic store in Ferndale Michigan. One day I was at the shop and I asked Mike about Tenyo. He told me to wait a minute....went to the back and a few minutes later came out with a box chuck filled with a bunch of pretty rare Tenyo effects....opened for demo purposes but in excellent condition and with instructions. He gave me the box and told me to enjoy! Between those two events I quickly had a collection of about 75 Tenyo tricks and I was bitten by the bug!

For me there is as much fun in playing with my new Tenyo as there is in collecting. I usually only pick up one of each trick and open an have fun with them (I was a comic collector for years and gave up the idea of speculation and multiple purchases; besides I have a family I have to feed!

Currently my collection consists of the following:

1) The T# effects (of the 271 effects, like many of you, I too am missing magic coaster, breakaway fan, and Walt Disney World. HOWEVER using the pictures and descriptions from Tenyoism I have made working replicas of both Magic Coaster and Breakaway Fan!)

2) The "Other" effects (I have about 105 "other" Tenyo effects. These include many in the J series and several of Tenyo's magic sets.)

3) The "Plus Ones" (I have all the Plus One effects except for the #2 Four Chance Game)

4) I also have a collection of what I call "Wannabe Tenyo's"!!! Several of these are made from the effects described in Kaufman's Tenyoism book, and others are made from the effects described in the Shigeru Sugawara 1977 Tenkai Prize Book.

A couple of my prized Tenyo effects include a Purple FISM Crystal Pyramid and the FISM only Sweet Nighmares. Right now I am awaiting from Japan a Tenyo magic set to arrive! Its the one with the boy on the box front wearing the striped jacket and hat, doing the balloon penetration! Can't wait for it to arrive!

I guess that is about all for now. I look forward to sharing information and my passion for Tenyo with you all!

BluBob

Re: Hello Fellow Tenyo-philes!

Post by BluBob » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:13 pm

Welcome Brad, fun and cool post!
and now, on with the show ...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:24 pm

Welcome Brad,

Wow that is some collection you have.

Once you get access to the Full Member Section (usually about 10 posts) please share with us info/pics/video of your Home Made Coin Coaster and Break-Away Fan.

EvanS

Post by EvanS » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:00 pm

Welcome, Brad! I'll try to contain my drool when reading the list of your collection.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:13 pm

Welcome Brad ! Glad to hear another great Tenyo collector and creative mind join the forum. Sure you will enjoy this place ;)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:45 am

Great story brad. Glad you found us here, you'll feel right at home :)
Now you see me...

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:56 am

Welcome to this pleasant place Brad!
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

HerveM

Post by HerveM » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:01 pm

Wow :shock: a great Tenyo-phile!

Welcome to you!

Ps: Toulouse is a french city. Perhaps You have family in France ;)

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:11 pm

Welcome Brad! You're a real Tenyo hoarder I believe!

bradtoulouse

Post by bradtoulouse » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:56 pm

Toulouse is indeed a city in France!

I am a direct descendant of Toulouse Lautrec....an artist who had addiction problems and hung around with prostitiutes....guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree!! JK!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:36 am

Hello Brad, and welcome to the best magic forum on the planet!
Thanks for sharing your story with us, what a fantastic collection you have, must be one of the top Tenyo collections in the world!

You must have one of the most beautifull family names there is by the way ... . I visited Toulouse two years ago, it's not that far from where my French family lives :)

HerveM

Post by HerveM » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:01 am

bradtoulouse wrote:Toulouse Lautrec....an artist who had addiction problems and hung around with prostitiutes....
Like all french :lol:

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:03 pm

That's a helluva treasure trove of Tenyo you have there! Welcome to the forums!
Where's my colon?!

bradtoulouse

Post by bradtoulouse » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:54 am

I will soon post a pic of my collection....
Unfortunately it is confined to two small bookcases and is a bit cluttered......I need a third bookcase!

Cheers!