Tenyo Sets

Here you find threads with a theme like Tenyo blue/brown box tricks or Japanese Only tricks.
Rob Rand
Charter Member

Re: Tenyo Sets

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:09 pm

This is pure eye candy! And way better than all these lousy magic sets produced nowadays :(

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:30 pm

is that space walking coins in there too?!
Now you see me...

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:22 pm

The coin stand from Space Walking Coins is included but not the plastic holder used to reproduce the coins.
It uses another method to reproduce the coins involving the coin tray and a paper sack.

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:19 pm

This set has very odd similarities to a Pressman magic set made the same year. A number of the items are identical, including the printed cardboard boomerangs. The box turns into a table. Plastic coin tray, etc.
I can't find an image online, and mine is in the attic, but if I get a chance will take a photo of it. (I think it's the number 4 set.)

bradtoulouse

Post by bradtoulouse » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:02 pm

No need to scurry up to the attic Richard....

I pulled the 'boomerangs" I have for comparison!

The first set you see is the Pressman set. This was included in the Presto Magic Set #1 They are the smallest of the three sets and have the word Pressman printed on them.

Set number two is from the Tenyo set I posted earlier. Larger than the Pressman set, but not as colorful IMHO.

Now the third set is going to cause some discussion I am sure. This is a Tenyo set of bomerangs. I believed released as one of their Magician's Selection tricks years ago. I have the instructions with the Tenyo logo upon it. These are a very nice set. True they are cardboard; however they are printed on both sides with the design! I like this design the best....it has a very "Doug Henning" feel to it if you catch my drift!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:09 pm

Tenyo also sold a set of these in one of their science magic sets. These are also pretty big.
1130162134a~3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bradtoulouse

Post by bradtoulouse » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:23 pm

No money for food for the next two months....
That's okay I gotta drop 20 pounds anyways!!!

TiTAN

Eight Interesting Magic Tricks Box Set (1971-1974)

Post by TiTAN » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:35 am

Hi all,

Thought I would share my Tenyo 8 Interesting Magic Tricks Box Set with everyone.
0AADDB75-C1EE-4CC0-A11F-A78897048506.JPG
The set consist of the following tricks:
1. Goku’s Cups ("Cups and Balls")
2. Dice Box ("Dice Vision")
3. Mysterious Dog ("Funny Dog")
4. Changing Cards ("Henka Card")
5. String and Dice ("Cubio")
6. Thimble
7. Disney's Magic Cards (with Lady and the Tramp from the film on the cover)
8. Disney's Star Parade
(Info Credit: Tenyoism)

This set was first in circulation in the 1960s. But the version pictured, is circa 1971-1974, as evident from the Disney Card cover being changed from the Merlin Magician to one that featured the Lady and the Tramp.

The Cups and Balls is the early version with the "TY" brand at the bottom of the cups. Subsequent versions featured the Ty Rabbit logo.

The Disney Star Parade would also differ from subsequent releases, and can be identified by the Markings at the bottom left corner of the cards.

I was thankful to be able to pick up the 2nd Edition Cubio from John Mazza, when Victor sounded out to me its availability. Since then, I managed to pick up another 2nd Edition Cubio (Open on card) that would fit into one of my other early Box Set.

PS > My Changing Cards is incomplete as it is missing the blank card. If any one here has a spare 1st edition Changing Card "Henka Card" for sale, please pm me. Much appreciated.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Re: Eight Interesting Magic Tricks Box Set (1971-1974)

Post by Rob Rand » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:48 pm

Thank you for sharing this rare magic box Tan!

It’s the first time I saw this Tenyo trick box, it’s a pity that some parts are missing... Unfortunately I can’t help you with that...

TiTAN

Post by TiTAN » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:23 am

Thank you for the kind words, Rob. Glad you like it.

The 8 Interesting Magic Tricks is still in circulation today, but the contents have changed over the years. I have attached the current edition which is available from Amazon Japan here:
8 Interesting Magic Set.jpg
Somehow the vintage set invoked a very different nostalgic feeling of years gone by...
Last edited by TiTAN on Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Fri May 01, 2020 8:25 pm

Looks awesome TiTAN!

TiTAN

Post by TiTAN » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:43 am

Rob Rand wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:25 pm
Looks awesome TiTAN!
Thank you for the kind words, Rob!

TiTAN

Post by TiTAN » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:21 am

Hi all,

Would like to take the opportunity to document this Disney Magic Set, whose existence was brought to the attention of the collectors earlier this year.

This Disney Magic Set dates back to 1983, and the year of release coincided with the opening of Disneyland in Tokyo, Japan, which leads us to believe that this could well be (one of) the first magic Boxset that was
first made available at the Magicshop in TDL.

TDLmagicS1983-1.jpg
TDLmagicS1983-2.jpg
And the fact that this boxset found its way to a second hand Magic Shop in Thailand virtually intact and complete, makes it seemed even more incredible - where it was then purchased by a Thai Collector.

Details of the Magic Set is as follows:

“6 Mysterious Magic Tricks” Tokyo Disneyland Magic Shop Magic Set

Consist of the following tricks:

1 Mickey & Minnie (“Chinese Sticks”)
2 Newton Cup (“Cups and Balls”)
3 Family Dog (“Funny Dog”)
4 Star Parade (“Flash Dice”)
5 Four Kings (“Changing Cards”)
6 Warp Machine (“Time Capsule”)

The set is special in several aspects, most noticeably:
- The Chinese Sticks have been modified with Mickey and Minnie at the ends of the pull strings.
- The Changing cards (Four Kings) featured unique cardback graphics. This is not unexpected as this trick has undergone many updates and revisions each time it is reissued.
- Flash Dice was named "Star Parade" with no relations to the other trick of the same name. It features a unique red case that houses 4 dice, and each dice is imprinted with Disney characters.

TDLmagicS1983-3.jpg
TDLmagicS1983-4.jpg

Other than that, Funny Dog, Time Capsule (Detailed pictures not provided) and Cups and Balls are pretty much standard Tenyo issue of that era.

Photos of the specimen were sent to the staff at Tenyo Office. The present staff has expressed surprise at seeing this magic set for the first time. They have also mentioned that the product belongs to TDL, and basically their contract forbids them to comment on this product. They did hint that this might well be one of the first products launched at the grand opening of TDL.

Strangely, for a country like Japan famed at meticulous archiving of items old and new, there has not been other sets seen in the secondary market - either in whole or partially.

As items for TDL is released in limited numbers, and are quickly retired and replaced by newer merchandise, this may well be a one-of-a-kind surviving specimen of the 1st Magic Set.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:13 am

Wow what a wonderful find. Congratulations.

Do you know if the set is in Richard Kaufman's Tenyo Book? Richard may know more about the set.

What is TDL?

TiTAN

Post by TiTAN » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:15 pm

JohnM wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:13 am
Wow what a wonderful find. Congratulations.

Do you know if the set is in Richard Kaufman's Tenyo Book? Richard may know more about the set.

What is TFL?
Thank you, John.

Apologies for the acronym. “TDL” is short for Tokyo Disneyland.

This set isn’t documented anywhere, partly because Tenyoism doesn’t cover Disney licensed merchandise, and I believe Richard also first learnt about its existence when photo of the set surfaced this year.

TiTAN

Post by TiTAN » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:05 am

TiTAN wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:21 am
Hi all,

Would like to take the opportunity to document this Disney Magic Set, whose existence was brought to the attention of the collectors earlier this year.

This Disney Magic Set dates back to 1983, and the year of release coincided with the opening of Disneyland in Tokyo, Japan, which leads us to believe that this could well be (one of) the first magic Boxset that was
first made available at the Magicshop in TDL.

TDLmagicS1983-1.jpg

TDLmagicS1983-2.jpg

And the fact that this boxset found its way to a second hand Magic Shop in Thailand virtually intact and complete, makes it seemed even more incredible - where it was then purchased by a Thai Collector.

Details of the Magic Set is as follows:

“6 Mysterious Magic Tricks” Tokyo Disneyland Magic Shop Magic Set

Consist of the following tricks:

1 Mickey & Minnie (“Chinese Sticks”)
2 Newton Cup (“Cups and Balls”)
3 Family Dog (“Funny Dog”)
4 Star Parade (“Flash Dice”)
5 Four Kings (“Changing Cards”)
6 Warp Machine (“Time Capsule”)

The set is special in several aspects, most noticeably:
- The Chinese Sticks have been modified with Mickey and Minnie at the ends of the pull strings.
- The Changing cards (Four Kings) featured unique cardback graphics. This is not unexpected as this trick has undergone many updates and revisions each time it is reissued.
- Flash Dice was named "Star Parade" with no relations to the other trick of the same name. It features a unique red case that houses 4 dice, and each dice is imprinted with Disney characters.

TDLmagicS1983-3.jpg

TDLmagicS1983-4.jpg

Other than that, Funny Dog, Time Capsule (Detailed pictures not provided) and Cups and Balls are pretty much standard Tenyo issue of that era.

Photos of the specimen were sent to the staff at Tenyo Office. The present staff has expressed surprise at seeing this magic set for the first time. They have also mentioned that the product belongs to TDL, and basically their contract forbids them to comment on this product. They did hint that this might well be one of the first products launched at the grand opening of TDL.

Strangely, for a country like Japan famed at meticulous archiving of items old and new, there has not been other sets seen in the secondary market - either in whole or partially.

As items for TDL is released in limited numbers, and are quickly retired and replaced by newer merchandise, this may well be a one-of-a-kind surviving specimen of the 1st Magic Set.

Update: The origins of this set was uncovered as a “懸賞”, which is a souvenir / prize for the sweepstakes. This meant that this set was probably specially made for Tokyo Disneyland’s grand opening as a prize and unlikely to be available for outright sale to the public. So far, I have only come across 2 sets - the one pictured, was found intact in one of Thailand’s vintage shop; while a later one that surfaced was sold in local Japan classifieds around April 2021 by the original owner without too much fanfare and under the radar. The seller claimed he had won it as a prize and have kept it with him since. I hope more examples will surface soon.

Update: Nov 2021 - 3 sets appeared in quick succession over at Yahoo Japan Auctions by different sellers, ending in record bids of 66,000 yen; 75,000 yen and over 100,000 yen respectively in Sept 2021. This set most certainly was available for sale during the Grand Opening of Tokyo Disneyland in 1983, contrary to the earlier belief that this was a sweepstake prize. Still, this being a limited set and sold mostly to non-collectors, it suffice to say that most of them did not survive, and the few sets that turned up were miraculously preserved and kept by the original owners. I believe knowledge about this set gained much traction among the Japanese, following a blogpost entry by Tenyo Scholar Yasuo Amano-San detailing and documenting the set for the first time in Aug 2020. Link here:

- http://jpmagic.blog34.fc2.com/blog-entr ... iiiz830Dc0

The initial successful auction listing attracting high bids have also encouraged other Japanese owners to dig out theirs and putting them up for sale.
Last edited by TiTAN on Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TiTAN

Post by TiTAN » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:59 am

Hi all,

Sharing this "I am a Magician" Japan Boxset released in 1976:
3fcd4341-0563-428e-ab33-0483512d98f6.jpg
73542145-611f-42e7-a97c-89c32aff78e5.jpg
The above is the more "common" yellow box version, as compared to the more scarce blue "Suitcase" version.
Here are 2 photos of the Suitcase version shown below, found online from archived auction listings. Hardly seen in the "wild"...
174112369_616426775979660_3451476509741767752_n.jpg
173412869_909511436291738_9092355045618158127_n.jpg

TiTAN

Post by TiTAN » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:51 pm

Hi guys, for those who are not on Facebook, here is sharing the information on a domestic Japanese Tenyo collaboration Boxset.
Hansaplast Set2.jpg
Hansaplast Set1.jpg
Hansaplast Set.jpg
This appears to be a sweepstake prize item by Nivea-Kao Co., Ltd. that was made available during a 8-week promotional period in the 1980s.