2018 tenyo

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
EvanS

Re: 2018 tenyo

Post by EvanS » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:14 pm

Did you see that SEO is offering the 2018 series along with the 2017 plus one item (provided that you buy all four and allow them to "carefully" remove the rabbit)?

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:32 pm

Yasuo Amano wrote:Release date : December 11

I just took a quick look at the Smart Guillotine image and something very noticeable (to me) stood out that points to a possible method. I'm looking forward to the video on this one to see how deceptive it is in real life. Knowing that what I see, as a magician, and what a layman sees are two different things, I am still very excited about this "old school" Tenyo effect!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:27 pm

I hope the black guillotine blade can be handed out for examination.

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:08 pm

EvanS wrote:Did you see that SEO is offering the 2018 series along with the 2017 plus one item (provided that you buy all four and allow them to "carefully" remove the rabbit)?
Thanks for this heads up. I have been looking for Magical Chocolate for some time, so I ordered this deal. I hope they are careful when opening and removing the rabbit.

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:22 pm

They have to open three of the four packages, pull out the 2018 flyer, and cut out the rabbit stamp from two of them and remove the entire form which has a space for the three rabbits from the third one. Then, replace the flyer, close up the packages somehow, and that should be it.

I really like the +1 chocolate trick for 2018 so I think it's well worth buying the set from Seo to get the deal.

It's surprising that Tenyo is willing to supply Seo with so many of them. They must have worked something out.
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:54 am

The other additional 2 (Magic - Smart Guillotine & Magic - Kiseki no Dowsing Rod) are ready for preorder, check this out guys :
http://slist.amiami.com/top/search/list ... pagemax=40

Just got the first 3 items of 2018 today (I skipped the Fortune Sticks). Very excited to see how good they are.

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:14 pm

Did you notice on that page that there are SIX new Doraemon tricks by Tenyo also coming out?

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:39 pm

Yes I did Richard. But somehow i`m not really a fan of the Doraemon version. But probably I will change my mind someday :) :)

HerveM

Post by HerveM » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:24 pm

VictorS wrote:Very excited to see how good they are.
Very excited to see what you think :)

EvanS

Post by EvanS » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:09 pm

Happy, happy day! My box o' Tenyo arrived from SEO this afternoon, complete with Magical Chocolate.
:D

EvanS

Post by EvanS » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:41 pm

Interesting... 3 of the 4 new items do not yet have downloadable English translations. Fortunately, Daisuke provides the SEO customers with videos explaining each of the tricks. Nice touch!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:48 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote: Demonstrated Starlight for my wife, who could not have cared less. It was just a pretty mechanical picture to her. Have to find a fresh victim.
Richard,
Do you have any problem on handling the starlight ? Mine works but somehow required little bit of practice to "shift" it correctly to the right places. I shake it to ensure the gimmick can go to every possible direction and will run smooth.

Thanks.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:11 pm

HerveM wrote:
VictorS wrote:Very excited to see how good they are.
Very excited to see what you think :)
Sure Harve :) I have already opened 2 so far and I save the best (Bento) for last.

As Richard mentioned, the starlight and blindfold are good. However they cannot be handed out for examination.

Especially the starlight, the gimmick is so obvious on the spec. hand, no locking system but it delivers a nice illusion. To me ,it requires little bit of practice for the handling. We need to ensure everything work smooth to operate it correctly at the first. The construction and design of the prop is excellent but the material is more cardboard than plastic. The idea of having white paper and flashlight from the mobile phone is excellent. It`s a good added value to the trick itself. In conclusion, it`s a good trick although not the best for 2018 series. I would rate it 7 out of 10.

I`m not sure if the blindfold idea is new, I assume not but it was improved by Tenyo. The blindfold construction is very simple but clever. It has a nice material too. We can convince the spec at the beginning that they cannot see through but it`s too risky to hand it out for examination. That`s why Richard mentioned that the audience management is required. The additional cards with different back colors and symbols are really great added value to the trick.

We need to take the "heat" away from the blindfold or probably misdirect the spec. to something else. Maybe mentioning that we have very special cards and only certain people can feel the difference of colors and shapes, so the heat will be on the cards, not on the blindfold. In conclusion, it`s a good trick although not the best for 2018 mental series. I would rate it the same, 7 out of 10.

I skipped the Fortune Sticks because I have already one (the older version). But maybe I would like to have spare on this ;)

Hope this give you better overview :)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:53 am

Thanks for your reviews Victor.

I'm planning to buy some of the 2018 line when all the tricks are available. Fortune Sticks I already have, and I am not very enthousiastic about the Starlight & Blindfold trick - Victor's reviews confirm this.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:45 am

You are welcome David. I just opened the Bento today evening and I decided to write a review too for this.

Basically I love the effect of this trick. The revelation is so strong, we are completely hands off to reveal the object(s) but unfortunately there is also weakness and again audience management is really2 important on handling the prop.

The positive points on this trick: very nice color and design, very reflected the Japanese culture, it has really cool mechanism which I didn`t expected before and the foods were printed on a high quality of thick stickers which are very durable and waterproof. It has perfect pocket size prop as a cute bento box. The memory work to remember the coding in relation to the chosen object is easy and cleverly thought and can be modified with your own version (as Yasou did ;)). Although I haven`t read the English instruction, I got already the idea. I played it with my 7 year old boy and he can perform it instantly after I explained him. (If you see this, it means that)

The weakness of the prop as I mentioned before, audience management is very important especially during the routine and I would say, it`s not possible to hand the prop out for examination. It`s too sensitive. So we need to think again to take the "heat" away from the box. If there is locking mechanism for this, I would probably give a full points (10 out of 10) but due to the weakness, I rate this 8 out of 10.

HerveM

Post by HerveM » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:52 pm

Thanks Victor for your feedback :)

I think you confirm that Bento is the best tricks for now. I think I'll only take this one, I already have Fortune Sticks too (In my senses, starlight is not a trick, just a visual effect).

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:04 pm

Thanks again for the honest review Victor :) I have 'an idea' how it works, but what is important is that this can not be examined (not that much of a problem) and is somewhat 'fragile' from what I have read ... .

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:15 pm

David DeTenyo wrote:Thanks again for the honest review Victor :) I have 'an idea' how it works, but what is important is that this can not be examined (not that much of a problem) and is somewhat 'fragile' from what I have read ... .
Yes..the secret is too easy to be exposed in spectator's hands. That's what I mean with too sensitive.

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:07 pm

I disagree. When you first bring out the Bento Box, you can indeed hand it to the spectator. You can even ask them to lift the lid while you ask if they know what a Bento Box is. Asking them a question while they are performing an action takes the heat off the action.

Now you can take the box and lid from the spectator and perform the trick.

If this makes you nervous, then leave the box on the table and ask the spectator to lift the lid. Even if the spectator quickly snatches up one of the bento blocks, because the box is on a level table the tab won't slide out.

Simple spectator management makes it easy to hand out the box before the trick.

It's important to remember that while you know the bento blocks can be lifted out, that is not necessarily obvious to a spectator.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:29 pm

Thanks for sharing the psychology aspect behind the trick, Richard. I need to do a test run for the Bento trick and see if the audience management works. I hope so ;)

EvanS

Post by EvanS » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:23 pm

EvanS wrote:Interesting... 3 of the 4 new items do not yet have downloadable English translations. Fortunately, Daisuke provides the SEO customers with videos explaining each of the tricks. Nice touch!
Not sure if it was just my bad timing, or that the Tenyo site was having issues when I first checked, but all four translations are available now.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:49 pm

EvanS wrote:
EvanS wrote:Interesting... 3 of the 4 new items do not yet have downloadable English translations. Fortunately, Daisuke provides the SEO customers with videos explaining each of the tricks. Nice touch!
Not sure if it was just my bad timing, or that the Tenyo site was having issues when I first checked, but all four translations are available now.
Thanks for letting us know Evan ;)
Oh by the way, is there any difference between old Fortune Sticks instruction with the new version ?
Thanks.

EvanS

Post by EvanS » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:23 pm

Hmmm... I didn't think to check, but I'll have a look later today, once the turkey is in the oven. :)

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:29 pm

Seems to me that the new sticks are hard to 'read.' Anyone else have that impression?

EvanS

Post by EvanS » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:25 pm

The lighting in the room you perform it in will definitely be a factor. With that said, I am able to practice it with 100% accuracy, but results in live performance will likely be hit or miss.