2018 tenyo

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
lnlver

Re: 2018 tenyo

Post by lnlver » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:27 am

Simon, I enjoy watching you perform your inventions. You're a very creative guy. It's just a matter of time.

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:08 pm

BluBob wrote:Interesting discussion of the Tenyo Mental Bento

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OH1RMrSbWY
Isn't it? I found that discussion as well and it made me want to play around with it. It's funny how something like that or a demo can make you more interested in a Tenyo release.
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

MadisonPresents

Post by MadisonPresents » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:24 pm

I got miracle dowsing rods and smart guillotine today.

I love them both! Great releases. Dowsing rods is simple but very effective. Smart guillotine... lets just say, it fooled me badly! I had no idea how it worked and was amazed to see the method. Some classic Tenyo ideas explored in a new way. Also, I was glad to see the spectator can feel the whole blade without feeling any step. I was concerned that the blade had a Center section that retracted inside... it doesn’t! Great methods here. I’m thoroughly pleased.

I also was fond of the bento trick. It works very well and is quite a mechanical marvel. I had also never owned fortune sticks, so I was thrilled with them. I’m glad I didn’t spend $80 on it!

Madison

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:37 am

Thank for the incite Madison.

I am waiting for the Guillotine, and the others.
So I am even more looking forward to receiving them.
and now, on with the show ...

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:46 pm

Now that all six Tenyo releases for 2018 are available, I find Bento Box, Smart Guillotine, and Dowsing Rod to be the best of the lot. My humble opinion of course!

I can't help thinking how statuesque the Smart Guillotine is and what a striking appearance it has when assembled and ready for performance. Bold, sleek, and classy!

It will be fun hearing from other forum members concerning the 2018 collection.

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:07 pm

I have held off with my assessment of this year's items but here are a few I know we'll not bode well with many on the Smart Guillotine.

I hate to say my first impression of Smart Guillotine is appears odd as it looks top heavy with the narrow pedistal white base. The use of the squeeze paper clip seems strange as well. And now to know it is equally handcapped with light reflection giving away the gimmick makes it even less appealing to me. I don't know exactly how it functions yet but I would have liked to see it designed with clear plastic going all the way closer to the bottom for a none top heavy less fragile look. But suppose it has to be like it is to work for whatever reason. Carbone's presentation not using the squeeze clip is an improvement but the way the blade is handled under the clear top seems a little strange. It's the narrow white pedal piece the ruins this one for me.

Bento box seems to have some nice mechanics to its operation yet not a fan of Tenyo's use of food as the main theme to many items produced. I would be happy with just numbers or esp stickers or anything else besides food. Box doesn't look like a conventional Bento box so anything can be put on the tops of the pieces so I give it thumbs up.

I do like the Dowsing Rods concept can see other uses for that one too so again thumbs up on that one.

That's my thoughts I'm sure you all will disagree but that's fine.

Richard
Last edited by Richard W on Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:40 pm

Richard, I understand and can appreciate your opinion of the guillotine. My feeling is that it's not a household item so it's strange appearance is acceptable as a magic prop. In essence, with specially designed magic apparatus, most anything goes. The spectator watches what your unusual prop can do and accepts it for that.

Tenyo has a history of creating specially designed unusual looking props which do cool things so I see the guillotine as another one of those.

Your critique is an acceptable one!

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:18 am

Another thought:

I forgot to add as an example of other uses for the Dowsing Rods they could be used to locate the working key hidden in the black envelopes provided with my Sher-Lock Keytective Padlock for those lucky few that own one. :mrgreen:

http://funstuffonly.com/tenyoforum/view ... 214#p26214

Richard

MadisonPresents

Post by MadisonPresents » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:50 pm

Here is my performance of three of the 2018 line up:

Constellation Cards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjReNSfDD_A

Smart Guillotine:

https://youtu.be/ca8TKfGu8D4

Dowsing Rods:

https://youtu.be/6huT2jSalkU

Madison

MadisonPresents

Post by MadisonPresents » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:12 am

I thought of a really interesting presentation for Dowsing Rods. I will try to film it soon. I think it will make a cute trick into a very powerful routine.

Madison

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:29 am

I have been reading any and all reviews of the guillotine and find it interesting that the opinions are all over the place concerning appearance, performability (a new word?), and overall rating of the item.

One person said that it's a great piece to play with but not to perform. Others like it! Some mention angle and lighting issues. At least the video demos I have seen appear to show a convincing trick and a fooler. If it's so bad, then why do the demos seem so good?

Has there ever been this much division concerning opinions of a Tenyo trick?

I am going to open mine tomorrow and see for myself.

It looks like the guillotine is a good one for FOCUS ON TENYO. ;)

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:50 am

Yes, there have been divisive opinions on many Tenyo tricks.

The videos you see of the guillotine don't reveal the problem with seeing the blade in normal lighting conditions.

I've figure out a way to handle the blade that overcomes the problem.

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:47 pm

Steve S. wrote:I have been reading any and all reviews of the guillotine and find it interesting that the opinions are all over the place concerning appearance, performability (a new word?), and overall rating of the item.

One person said that it's a great piece to play with but not to perform. Others like it! Some mention angle and lighting issues. At least the video demos I have seen appear to show a convincing trick and a fooler. If it's so bad, then why do the demos seem so good?

Steve, I really like Smart Guillotine. The clever method/thinking behind this effect reminds me of the Tenyo of old....and what got me interested in Tenyo many years ago.

I think of the blade as a card during handling so no issues there for me. The "reflection" issue that has been mentioned is only noticeable (depending on the lighting) while the blade out of the clear frame. Though the spectators may notice shading/reflection on the blade, since they don't know the method, they really won't know what they're seeing. For this reason, I don't believe it will as big an issue as some think. My only criticism is that more thought didn't go into how the blade is held in the frame. I don't care for the squeeze paperclip. I believe some sort of pin release would have been better.

For me, this is one of the best "old school" type Tenyo effect released in the last several years. (My humble opinion)  This is the type of effect I long for each year from Tenyo.

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:53 pm

One thing about Dowsing Rods is if you know anything at all about use of real dowsing rods is when you find something with them they always cross each other they don't separate like Tenyo made these do. Only time they have been seen to separate is when you do the lame asking them a yes or no question. Crossing each other means yes and separating means no. So Tenyo technically got this operation completely wrong. ;)

Richard

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:01 pm

KirkW wrote:
Steve S. wrote:I have been reading any and all reviews of the guillotine and find it interesting that the opinions are all over the place concerning appearance, performability (a new word?), and overall rating of the item.

Steve, I really like Smart Guillotine. The clever method/thinking behind this effect reminds me of the Tenyo of old....and what got me interested in Tenyo many years ago.

I think of the blade as a card during handling so no issues there for me. The "reflection" issue that has been mentioned is only noticeable (depending on the lighting) while the blade out of the clear frame. Though the spectators may notice shading/reflection on the blade, since they don't know the method, they really won't know what they're seeing. For this reason, I don't believe it will as big an issue as some think. My only criticism is that more thought didn't go into how the blade is held in the frame. I don't care for the squeeze paperclip. I believe some sort of pin release would have been better.

For me, this is one of the best "old school" type Tenyo effect released in the last several years. (My humble opinion)  This is the type of effect I long for each year from Tenyo.
I agree with you Kirk! I really like it and was pleased that the prop has some weight to it. Old school Tenyo indeed and a pleasure to play with!

I don't mind that clip actually and don't think spectators will be concerned about its presence.

For me, this is the first Tenyo release for quite some time which reminds me of good old Tenyo and provides that satisfying feeling us Tenyo addicts require.

A bit more practice before I try it out on my wife and then others.

It's interesting that there are 6 new Tenyos for 2018 and the only one which isn't mentalism wins the prize...at least for me. By the way, it has the lowest retail list price of all of the 2018 releases.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:29 pm

I finally opened the last 2 T Series for 2018, the smart guillotine and dowsing rods.

The Dowsing Rods idea is very good and easy to operate. The secret with the gimmick (I would say marked instead of gimmicked) envelope is really clever. Love it! All props are nicely made and work properly but unfortunately it cannot be handed out for examination. If we have 2 probably we can modify the gimmick and glue the parts permanently so it can be switched and handed out for examination. Well just an idea. What little bit bothers me the word "Made in China" :) :) I rate this 8 out of 10

The Smart Guillotine is really smart. Tenyo has chosen a correct name for it ;) Old principle but modified become another magic effect. That`s another clever point. When we open the whole packaging, we see a lot of plastic, which is really a good sign. A quick and easy assembly process is required, which makes everything fun. The size of the prop is really nice, Tenyo optimized everything they can, I would say. The weakness is the handling of the blade, it requires practice to perform it smooth. The clip binder really helps to support the handling but in my opinion, it`s better to show the blade without the clip at the first. Once the blade come inside the frame, the clip come in place to hold the blade in the frame. This makes more sense. I can recommend the prop handling by Angelo here (even without any clip) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtBaFOS4FgM The lighting could be 1 aspect to be considered but minor, laymen will not notice. Again what bothers me little bit is the word "Made In China" (no wonder Tenyo can go really cheap on this one).I rate this 9 out of 10

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:34 am

If I am not mistaken, Tenyo had the MAGIC WORLD set made in China as well. The quality was good.

I suspect that part of Tenyo’s agreement with China in making the apparatus is that they must be of the same quality that they are when manufactured in Japan. In essence, the results must not be poorly made junk.

I think Victor is correct in assuming that the low prices are a result of where they were made.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:34 am

You are right Steve, overall the quality is ok I would say. If there was no description Made In China, I would probably don't know the difference. I heard once, that we can produce any kind of product with the quality you wish in China. Everything can be customized based on your request and budget. I believe also that Tenyo will keep their quality at the same level ;)

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:38 pm

If you want to know how the same principle used for the blade would look if it had been made in Japan, just take a look at Mystic Blackboard. That should answer your question. Same principle, same inventor.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:04 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:If you want to know how the same principle used for the blade would look if it had been made in Japan, just take a look at Mystic Blackboard. That should answer your question. Same principle, same inventor.
I just realize until you mentioned it Richard. Really clever.

EvanS

Post by EvanS » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:11 pm

I really like Smart Guillotine. I do have a presentation that allows me to show the blade on both sides, and some of the "touches" shared on this forum, and on the Collector's Facebook page (Carbone is just bloody brilliant!) make this one of my favorites of the current season.

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:57 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:If you want to know how the same principle used for the blade would look if it had been made in Japan, just take a look at Mystic Blackboard. That should answer your question. Same principle, same inventor.
I always thought that Mystery Blackboard was one of the great Tenyo effect and never understood why it didn't get much attention. Two great and totally different effects using the very same principle....clever thinking indeed!

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:52 pm

Today I received my first genuine Tenyo item, the Smart Guillotine. And I'll say I agree that it is smart. I had no idea until I tried it, and it is a real fooler. My unit was slightly bent (the transparent part of the main unit), unfortunately, but it could be straighted to a useable state without breaking. Don't know why it was bent, since the packaging was unharmed.

However, as others have mentioned, the paper clip is awkward. I like the handling that Carbone showed (linked a few posts up), but he must have done some modifications to his unit, right?

I have an idea to help get rid of the paper clip, will post about it when it is ready. :-)

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:26 pm

ØyvindK wrote:Today I received my first genuine Tenyo item, the Smart Guillotine. And I'll say I agree that it is smart. I had no idea until I tried it, and it is a real fooler. My unit was slightly bent (the transparent part of the main unit), unfortunately, but it could be straighted to a useable state without breaking. Don't know why it was bent, since the packaging was unharmed.

However, as others have mentioned, the paper clip is awkward. I like the handling that Carbone showed (linked a few posts up), but he must have done some modifications to his unit, right?

I have an idea to help get rid of the paper clip, will post about it when it is ready. :-)

It's too bad your Smart Guillotine was bent. Could it be returned for a replacement?

Looking forward to hearing your idea to get rid of paper clip.

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:43 pm

I am wondering if the bend was caused by careless packing or defective materials.

These were not made in Japan. Could that be the reason? In essence, a quality control issue? Hmmm...