2018 tenyo

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
Richard W
Global Moderator

Re: 2018 tenyo

Post by Richard W » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:29 am

Humm wouldn't that be a Dumb Guillotine not a Smart Guillotine. :?

I would contact whoever sold it tell them it arrived with a bend see if they won't just send you a new one it is so inexpensive. Send a picture if you still can showing them what arrived. Worth a try. If they want you to pay postage back I would tell them not worth the cost of doing. I will just remember this and buy my magic anyplace else next time. ;)

Richard
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:24 am

It seems to work fine, and now that I've left it assembled in the stand, it is only very slightly bent. I'm not going to bother returning it.

A picture of my idea to lose the paperclip will come later today. It's a very basic idea, though.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:36 am

About the bend, could you just put the guillotine under heavy books and leave it for several days ? Of for quicker option, put it between fabrics and press it for 2 seconds with low temperature iron ? It guess it will solve your problem. Sorry if it returns to become a bad idea ;) Good luck!

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:47 am

Yes, putting it under pressure might remove the slight bend completely, but I don't think it's worth the risk.

Here's my idea to get rid of the paper clip:
smart_guillotine2.jpg
smart_guillotine3.jpg
And how it looks before performing:
smart_guillotine1.jpg
This way the blade can be presented on both sides, by rotating the holder with the blade inserted, and when doing the performance the blade is just lifted from the holder and into the guillotine. The holder has slots in the sides for the blade (so it can't fall out), and the bottom edge is a perfect match to the angle of the blade.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HerveM

Post by HerveM » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:07 am

well played! It's an excellent idea and a very pretty realisation !!!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:20 am

A blade stand...what a great idea. Nice design too. Brilliant !

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:38 am

It looks great and matches the set perfectly. Great companion. Nice work!

You are very handy making magic apparatus with the equipment you bought.
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:44 am

My point was not to send it back but tell them it is flawed they might just send you new one and not ask you to send that one back since it is so cheap. Have nothing to loose to try and get it replaced. Many times I have got a replacement and not be asked for the broken/flawed item back. ;) This thing must not cost dealers hardly anything as you can buy a new one for $8.96 on MJM Magic and Dowsing Rods for $11.21. Never seen Tenyo so cheap before but also not seen it made in China before. :shock:

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/index.php ... l9NEBZlA0M

Never bought anything from MJM but see they ship world wide for free on orders over $50.00 just for the record.

Even at $8.96 I am still going to pass on this item. :?

magicjeff

Post by magicjeff » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:39 am

I love the stand!!!!!....So, I started this post back in March, so....2019 line?...any guesses or ideas?

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:48 am

magicjeff wrote:I love the stand!!!!!....So, I started this post back in March, so....2019 line?...any guesses or ideas?
Go ask Max Maven bud...he can read the future :lol:

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:54 pm

Let me guess 2019 maybe 4 out of 4 will be made in China :?:

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:27 pm

Maybe John should consider renaming this forum TENYO’S GOOD OLD DAYS MAGIC FORUM or REMEMBER WHEN TENYO MAGIC FORUM or THE TENYO WE USED TO LOVE MAGIC FORUM. :lol:

I don’t mean to be so negative really but I know I am not the only one going through the good old days of Tenyo withdrawal. :cry:

Okay, I am going to remain positive as to not bring anyone down. I am positive that we will no longer see the Tenyo props we love so much ever produced by them again. How’s that? :roll:

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:13 pm

Thanks for being positive after my negative that equals things out. :D I would like to see a year without some kind of food involved if that isn't too much to hope for.

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:14 pm

ØyvindK wrote:Yes, putting it under pressure might remove the slight bend completely, but I don't think it's worth the risk.

Here's my idea to get rid of the paper clip:
smart_guillotine2.jpg
smart_guillotine3.jpg
And how it looks before performing:
smart_guillotine1.jpg
This way the blade can be presented on both sides, by rotating the holder with the blade inserted, and when doing the performance the blade is just lifted from the holder and into the guillotine. The holder has slots in the sides for the blade (so it can't fall out), and the bottom edge is a perfect match to the angle of the blade.
Beautiful idea, and very nicely made!

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:18 am

steve i couldnt have said it better myself, i really do miss the good ol days of tenyo, the crystal cleavers, mirages, ninj experiments and so on and so on , seems all we get these days are tricks made out of card and paper lol.

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:16 pm

It's tiring to hear people's continued lamentations about the "golden" days of Tenyo and big hunks of plastic. It's been said many times in many ways again and again. Isn't that enough?

If you don't like the kind of magic that Tenyo is putting out now (every company must change its products over time to continue to be relevant in the eyes of its customers) then just don't buy the tricks.

Tenyo's Japanese customers, which constitute their main source of income, don't want those types of tricks anymore. (And they would be much more expensive to produce now.) If Tenyo continued to make their older style of product, the magic division would have been discontinued long ago.

Instead, I think that focusing on the excellent line of tricks this year, and ways we can vary and improve them, is a great idea. And much more interesting for all of us.

For example, Victor posted a great idea on Facebook about buying two copies of the Dowsing rod trick and un-gimmicking the extra small black box by gluing the guts. I've worked out a good handling for the trick using that idea which allows you to cleanly switch in the ungimmicked box at the end of the trick as you remove the rods from it.

Another example is the white stand shown above for the blade in Smart Guillotine. What a great idea! Using that, and Angelo Carbone's handling of pushing the blade all the way to the bottom when you first insert it are the types of details and finesse that make the new tricks better and raise them to a higher level.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:53 pm

Hi Richard,

Thanks got your points. Just to clarify, I shared the gluing idea in this forum, as I can remember, I never shared it on FB. Well it is not a problem at all :)

Glad to hear that you worked on it. Did you glue it already? If not, please don't do it. I found out the most effective way (I believe) to make it locked and examinable. Please give me some time to take pictures and make a clear instruction for it. It will take less than a minute to do without any glue. I will post it in the members only section. By the way, I just look into inner work of Dawsing Rods, it is more complicated than I thought. Interesting mechanism inside that innocent looking black box.

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:30 pm

I have so much I would like to say but I will refrain unless more pontification continues. :lol:

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:36 pm

Victor

I am very interested in your new locking method I know it will be worth the wait. ;)

Richard

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:23 am

Victor has vastly improved one of the two Tenyo tricks for 2018 I consider to be the best of the bunch by far.

Did I mention how much I (and many others) miss those old hunks of plastic? :D

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed May 09, 2018 10:34 am

Hi Victor, I’m a bit late to this thread, how did you get the locking possible?
I’ve been enjoying my guillotine, it would be perfect for anyone performing for a cigar smoker, you could say it is a new cigar cutter, designed to help you stop (in that it stops you cutting the cigar etc etc).
I had some fun today making a nice stand, next up is something for the blade I think :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Now you see me...

magicjeff

Post by magicjeff » Wed May 09, 2018 8:36 pm

The Stand looks amazing!

SO...seeing how I started this post last year about the new line, I shall post again about the 2019 line...any hints, predictions or ideas?

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Wed May 09, 2018 9:59 pm

Simon, that stand looks really HOT. Reminds me really to the Indonesian Batik art design.

The locking method is related to the Dowsing Rods trick, not the guillotine. You can read the complete method here ;) I got my second set already to prepare the locked one :)
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2188&p=26474&hilit ... ock#p26474

EvanS

Post by EvanS » Thu May 10, 2018 2:09 pm

Wow, Si... that stand is beautiful! Nicely done.

VictorS

Re: 2018 tenyo (The Blade Stand)

Post by VictorS » Fri May 11, 2018 4:39 am

Hi everyone,

It`s been a while already after I finish my last project. However ØyvindK has really become a great inspiration for everyone here. Especially for me too. I like to make something for my own and just finish also a little project for the guillotine blade stand but with little bit different approach but similar concept as ØyvindK`s. Thanks do much my friend. It`s not my intention to copy your idea and taking advantage from it, but rather to share my version, hope you don`t mind ØyvindK :)

I added a slot for the bill on the stand and this can be used at the first when borrowing bill from spec and we roll it and put it into the stand. This will help us later at the performance while holding the blade , we just put the rolled bill into the hole for penetration effect. Another idea came when I look at my unused metal memo holder. The holder is quite flexible to hold certain thickness of paper including the blade of the guillotine (along with the gimmick). So I end up with my own style with the memo holder. The base is actually have the same form and size with the blade and would be fit for the design and looks rather like mini illusion set. When we insert the blade (along with the gimmick) in the holder, we can show fairly both sides. The holder is big enough to hide the secret ;) Because the holder has metal ball in it, I think it will not create scratches on blade.

So here are some (audience point of view) pictures of my creation. Hope you enjoy it guys. Thanks.

Cheers,
Victor