Doug Henning Tenyo Magic Set

Here you can discuss Collecting Tenyo. Packaging, Variations, Rare Items, etc.
KirkW

Doug Henning Tenyo Magic Set

Post by KirkW » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:36 pm

Rarely does good fortune come my way but it did in a big way this past week!

I acquired, what I consider, one of the "Holy Grail" Tenyo items…A Doug Henning Tenyo magic set (set B) in mint condition, still in the shrink wrap. Along with the set came a 19 x 25 box art poster, a one page (printed front and back) color ad and a multi-page fold-out brochure. The brochure contains a letter from Doug, some Doug Henning history, and a description with how-to instructions for 4 of the Tenyo tricks: Pencil Through Coins (Soft Coins), Mind Reading Board (Occult Board), See Through Card, and Wonder Window. The descriptions say “by Doug Henning & Jim Steinmeyer. I assume the set I have has a similar instruction brochure inside but I don’t want to open it. :-/

I got this from an older couple that was downsizing and needed to get rid of a bunch stuff they had collected over the years. The wife said her husband picked this set up back in the 80s and it has been setting unopened on a shelf for over 30 years. They couldn't remember where they got from.

Though I do have a decent collect of Tenyo tricks, I am not an elitist so I am trying to decide if this is something I want to hold on to or let go of.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by KirkW on Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JohnM
Site Admin

Re: Doung Henning Tenyo Magic Set

Post by JohnM » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:55 am

Wowsers, So Cool, What a Find, Congratulations.

I'm glad you got the Doug Henning Magic Set and not the "Doung" Henning Set as mentioned in the Title. ;)

Elliot has a sealed set as well.

I have all 12 of the Doug Henning Tricks including the Floating Lady with Doug's Image but no box or set. :cry:

So I made my own box to hold the tricks. The artwork is NOT A SCAN, but something I painstakingly made from scratch. I was able to find the original Photo of Doug somehow on the web. I re-made the font one letter at a time and I re-shot the photography. It came out great, but not as great as the real thing. :D
My Doug Henning Box.jpg
Thanks for the cool pictures.

If you decide to sell it let me know and I will make you a strong offer. :ugeek:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KirkW

Re: Doug Henning Tenyo Magic Set

Post by KirkW » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:33 am

John,

You did a fantastic job recreating the box art!

I was very surprised and delighted to find a mint set 30 odd years later. Especially since only about 50 of set B ever saw the light day (According to Tenyo-ism).
I have no clue what the value would be.
I will let you know should i ever decide to part with it. :)

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:36 am

Wow! Congrats on acquiring this rarity Kirk. Very cool indeed!!
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:17 pm

What a find ... wow! I didn't even know these sets existed, new in a box! Congrats, you have a little piece of gold in your hands - I wouldn't unbox it either by the way ;-)

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:47 pm

WOW just WOW

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:51 pm

I never seen that before wow that is amazing you got one still sealed what a great find. :)

Richard
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:32 pm

Congratulations Kirk ! Glad to hear that you find a treasure :) ;)

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:32 pm

Does anyone have any idea what the value would be on any of these Doug Henning magic sets be?

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:48 pm

If you put it on Ebay, I think it could go as high as $1,000.

I am basing this on the fact that there are still super collectors out there that are willing to pay very high prices for truly rare items like the recent $543 auction for Chinese Linking Rings in English Package. The English Packaged version seems to be the only one known to be in a collector's hands.

If you look at recent closed Tenyo auctions, you can see that there is at least one person willing to pay more for Tenyo then ever before by far and to reach those prices there has to be either another motivated buyer or a shill bidder.
Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 6.44.01 PM.png

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:44 pm

Just want to point out that RK stated several years back that these set were not sealed. Hmmm...

I know absolutely nothing about these sets except what I have read but thought I would point that out.

It had to be a very exciting moment for you Kirk when it was handed to you. I can't even imagine what that felt like. What a cool thing to happen! Congrats again and enjoy...
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:52 pm

There are now two known sealed sets and both are owned by our members.

Pretty Cool.

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:50 am

A Doug Henning set has just sold for around 1,185.06 GBP on ebay, was it any of our members that has snagged this rare set?? .

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:24 am

gazpratley wrote:A Doug Henning set has just sold for around 1,185.06 GBP on ebay, was it any of our members that has snagged this rare set?? .
Wow!! My wife and I just bought a new home so money is really tight. I have been considering selling my Doug Henning "sealed" mint Tenyo set B Magic set. But the way my luck goes, I would post it on the big auction site and it would go cheap . :cry:

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:31 am

Congratulations on the new home!

If afraid your Magic set would go for cheap put a reserve price to make sure it can't. Nobody likes a high reserve auction or even a reserve at all but better safe than sorry. ;)

Richard
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"