Magic Wagon - Perplexing Bolt

The wonderful magic creations made by Magic Wagon are discussed here.
Rob Rand
Charter Member

Magic Wagon - Perplexing Bolt

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:18 pm

886AF4EC-578E-4D5A-875A-95E35DBCFBA4.jpeg
Perplexing Bolt by Magic Wagon will be available on Sunday 26th August 2018.

A steel bolt is shown to be completely solid and then placed inside a beautiful wooden cabinet. The front door is now closed and two solid brass blades are pushed through the cabinet from side to side creating the illusion of cutting the bolt into three pieces. When the door is opened, the blades are clearly seen running through the cabinet, but the middle section of the bolt has now vanished! The performer then wave’s his hand behind the cabinet to further prove that the steel bolt’s middle section is not visible. The front door is now closed and the blades are removed. When the door is finally opened again, the center section of the bolt has reappeared! The steel bolt can now be removed and shown to be fully restored. It is a great miniature illusion!

This beautiful magic effect has been inspired by one of Edward Massey’s finest creations called the Chinese Flame Clock.

The cabinet measures approximately 8.8cms wide, 15cms high and 8.8cms deep and has been completely handcrafted from natural aged teak wood with a lightly distressed oil finish.

Due to the high level of complexity and amount of work involved, this specific item is only offered in a very limited quantity.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Re: Magic Wagon - Perplexing Bolt

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:19 pm

Wow this looks great! I will most likely order a copy :)

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:03 pm

Seems there will not be many copies available, so I'm guessing this may sell out in a flash. Since the description also says this is due to the amount of work involved, it will probably be very expensive, perhaps around $350?

Interesting trick that I hadn't heard of before (the Massey original of this).

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:13 am

They just went live with it:

http://www.magic-wagon.com/ProductDetail.asp?id=182

Price is $399.95, which is way more money than I am willing to spend, even if it looks very nice. The trick itself doesn't look all that impressive, there is just too much space all around, if you know what I mean.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:28 am

I ignored the price tag and ordered a copy, checked the amount by typing in 52, then pushed the recalculate button, it said 'Only 45 are available'.

This is a great mini version of Ed Masseys effect, but with a bolt instead of the candle, because I just don't like tricks with candles I love this version even more.

Simon Layland

Post by Simon Layland » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:22 am

I'm on the fence with this one, I cant make up my mind !
Simon from Aus (but English)

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:58 am

27 left...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:33 pm

Now sold out... That was quick! :o

Within 3 1/2 hours...

I'm curious if SimonL ordered one?

bobt1
Charter Member

Post by bobt1 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:19 pm

I have both the Milson-Worth & Original Ed Massey (purchased directly from Massey about 50 years ago) Chinese Flame Clocks. It is a great effect and should be a must piece for a magic collector. It is an effect that fooled by Dad which was not easy. Both versions work the same and I doubt that there could be any major improvements. If I did not have the effect, I would most likely buy the new MW version. Since I have 2 versions (both in oriental décor), I am trying to sell the original Massey version. It is in exceptional condition and the mechanism works perfectly. However unlike the wood candles used in the Milson-Worth version. Massey used real candles. In time, the candles warped and could not be used. I am not that handy and never replaced them. If interested in purchasing this item from me, I will send further information (including photos). USA sale only, PayPal accepted. Send either a PM or email to me at rtysl@wideopenwest.com. Bob from Naperville Illinois

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:29 am

Rob, when you receive your copy, could you please make a video of it? I'm really curious about the effect, but it was just too much money in my opinion.

I also believe it most likely works pretty much the same as the original effect, only it's a lot smaller and uses a bolt instead of a candle.

Simon Layland

Post by Simon Layland » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:40 am

Rob Rand wrote:Now sold out... That was quick! :o

Within 3 1/2 hours...

I'm curious if SimonL ordered one?

I left it to long to decide ! :cry:
Simon from Aus (but English)

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:31 am

Yes I surely will make a video of this very special effect Øyvind :)

Simon, it really sold out very quick! I'm perhaps the only one here who ordered it?

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:26 pm

Received my copy today!

As always, top notch quality.

The mechanism must be the same as in the original.

I saw on the internet that also Willi Wessel has made a mini version of this effect:

B3C5D778-65A2-40DA-A15C-A7AD615B91A2.jpeg
Anyway, the mechanism is delicate, but with a careful performance this should be no problem.

A bit pity perhaps that the three windows are substituted by one panel.

Others are not particularly charmed by the bolt instead of the candle. And I don't think you can easily substitute the bolt with a candle. Unless you want to ruin the mechanism :P

It's a wonderful addition to my collection.

I'll try to make a video as soon as possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:51 am

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:09 pm

Only one left now at Tony Curtis...

https://www.tonycurtismagic.com/perplexingbolt.html

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:54 am

He still has one left, but for me it's just too much money.

I've been thinking about making my own version, but with a twist: One single opening so that both blades can be seen clearly, not three separated openings where the horizontal sections hides the blades.

I think this might look quite cool, but I'd welcome feedback from you guys.

lnlver

Post by lnlver » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:14 am

I was thinking about making my own version as well. In mine, the split candle would be lit and after the blades were removed, the fully restored lit candle would be shown. I'm not sure if I could pull this off, though. I'd also try to change the dimensions of the box and doors to enhance the effect.

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:11 am

In the original Massey effect I've been told that the candle was lit, but not sure in which sequence.

I'm guessing the perfomer would light the full candle after the initial installation in the device, and after inserting the blades and showing the candle to be split, it would no longer be lit (as per the patter). Then after removing the blades and showing the restored candle, it would yet again be lit (again in accordance with the patter).

With the original mechanism this would work all by itself, but there would be a tiny risk with it (heat shimmer or smoke) that could destroy the illusion.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:29 am

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:19 am

As I said over at the other forum, nice video, but the size of the box compared to the bolt is a bit unnatural in my opinion. But the mechanism clearly works smoothly and operation of it is easily hidden. But you can't show the box from all sides, I guess.

I'm working on my own version...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:10 pm

Well you can show it from all sides, also the back side (although you have to cover the sliding thing underneath.

You can definitely not show the top and the bottom.

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:40 pm

In the 2 videos on YouTube this looks better then i thought before ...
But it is a bit limited that you can use it only with a thin bolt have not
the option to change easy the displayed item and also with a bigger size!

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:00 pm

You cannot replace the bolt with a wider item, but you can change the look very simple. I tried white straws so that it looks more than a candle.
Watch the other post of Øyvind, Olaf, he realized a really cool version of this item with a totally different mechanism!

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:28 pm

Rob, where can i find the post, what ist the title ? Thank you for posting this :-)
btw some Perplexing Bolt's are still available, seems the high price is a hindrance

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:46 pm

Olaf S wrote:Rob, where can i find the post, what ist the title ? Thank you for posting this :-)
btw some Perplexing Bolt's are still available, seems the high price is a hindrance
It is posted in the "Members only" section of this forum, so until you are made a full member you can't see it. However, I also posted about it over at The Magic Café, where it is in an open section:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... 4&forum=26

I expect you will be made a full member here soon (after someone with the rights to promote you takes action), and then you will be able to see a lot more interesting threads, including some of mine.