Magic Wagon - Utopia Prediction Box

The wonderful magic creations made by Magic Wagon are discussed here.
Rob Rand
Charter Member

Magic Wagon - Utopia Prediction Box

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:02 pm

69F5C724-853A-43AA-9F98-8F0BBC16EDF4.jpeg
The next release by Magic Wagon will be on Sunday 30 September 2018.

Utopia Prediction Box

The performer shows a folded sheet of paper which he states will be the prediction outcome and places it inside an elegant wooden box where it remains clearly visible through a glass window. The spectator is then handed a deck of cards to examine, thoroughly shuffle and then give a final cut. The box is then opened and the spectator them self-removes the prediction inside. Let’s say it is shown to be, for example, “The Seven of Hearts will be the 4th card of the deck”. The spectator is now asked to turn over the 4th card of the deck that he himself just seconds ago legitimately shuffled and cut to. Unbelievably, it is the Seven of Hearts!

This is unquestionably one truly memorable and baffling effect!

The window box remains in full view at all times!

The pack of cards used is completely normal!

The effect can be repeated with a different outcome each and every time!

The box measures approximately 8.25cm wide, 3.50cm high and 10.80cm deep and has been completely handcrafted from yellow wood with a dark brown matte coating finish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John B.
Charter Member

Re: Magic Wagon - Utopia Prediction Box

Post by John B. » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:12 pm

Seems like something is missing in the description. Here is one where I would prefer to see a video of the performance.

I will wait for the reviews.

Simon Layland

Post by Simon Layland » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:04 am

Should be nice and affordable.
I have a feeling it will work something like Clearly Impossible Box.
Simon from Aus (but English)

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:24 am

Seems to be a reissue of Magic Wagon #84, same trick discription
http://www.magic-wagon.com/ProductDetail.asp?id=84
The first edition was made with very nice wood ...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:14 am

The difference is that with the Dream Prediction Box the card is predicted, while Utopia sounds more like a ACAAN effect. Don't know if both are basically the same.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:30 am

You are right Olaf (luckaly I saw your post before buying this one - thanks for helping me save my money!). I have the Dream Prediction box. This one is the same, but has a window. Yes Rob, with the Dream PB you can also do the ACAAN routine, no problem.
A 'regular' deck? Well, yes and no, I leave that open for debate. You'll see when you buy it.

And yes John, there is one 'step' in the routine not mentioned in the add, but with good audience management it won't arouse suspicion.

So another 'improved' version of one of their older effects (improved because there's a window). Not very enthousiastic about that to be honest, but hey, when they re-release one of the effects from the past I don't have and am searching for I won't complain :D It has advantages and disadvantages. Ah well.

That said, it's a GREAT effect, one of my favourites. I encourage everyone that is interested to buy it, it's a real 'worker', baffling, easy to do. You'll love it :)

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:40 am

Thank you David! I don't have Dream Prediction Box, but I like the look of this one more! So I ordered it.
Last edited by Rob Rand on Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:32 am

David DeTenyo wrote:You are right Olaf (luckaly I saw your post before buying this one - thanks for helping me save my money!). I have the Dream Prediction box. This one is the same, but has a window. Yes Rob, with the Dream PB you can also do the ACAAN routine, no problem
I heard from an experienced card artist that there's almost no clean ACAAN card trick possible
I would rather buy the version you have, it's a matter of taste, was also priced more adequate

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:59 am

Someone on the Cafe mentioned the Siam Card Box. Is that a similar effect?

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:49 am

Hi Rob,

I have both Siam box and Dream Prediction. They are all the same basic effect, including this new version. I am going to pass on this one since it is so similar to the others I already have.

The Siam box is really a gorgeous piece. They outdid themselves on that one with a nice wood inlay on all of the corners and used glass (not plastic). Anymore they are using plastic instead of glass.

Looking forward to seeing the reviews. I suspect this one works along the lines of the Dream Prediction.

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:51 am

Olaf S wrote:
David DeTenyo wrote:You are right Olaf (luckaly I saw your post before buying this one - thanks for helping me save my money!). I have the Dream Prediction box. This one is the same, but has a window. Yes Rob, with the Dream PB you can also do the ACAAN routine, no problem
I heard from an experienced card artist that there's almost no clean ACAAN card trick possible
I would rather buy the version you have, it's a matter of taste, was also priced more adequate
I like this version from Jay Sankey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64nF012n6t8

You can use a regular deck too!

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:30 pm

Thanks for the info JohnB! I have none of the other two, so this will be a valuable addition to my magic props :)
I also love the look of the Siam box!

Only 18 left now...

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:23 am

John B. wrote: I like this version from Jay Sankey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64nF012n6t8
You can use a regular deck too!
YES - this i love so much - thank you ... *lol
have done the move with the bottom card but now
I will try and learn the top move - this is real magic
Better then all Boxes, you only need a deck of cards

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:46 am

All sold out...

And yes, the Sankey ACAAN effect is great!

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:28 pm

John B. wrote:I have both Siam box and Dream Prediction. They are all the same basic effect.
Question: Does the box play a role at all or is it just a nice distracting accessory ?

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:46 pm

I suspect it's a switching device...

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:51 pm

Olaf S wrote:
John B. wrote:I have both Siam box and Dream Prediction. They are all the same basic effect.
Question: Does the box play a role at all or is it just a nice distracting accessory ?
Yes, the box plays an important role in both versions.

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:06 am

John B. wrote:Yes, the box plays an important role in both versions
I'm glad I didn't buy that trick. The idea is not bad but very suspicious and the box should not
be given out of hand. When something is placed on the cards, it is a very unnatural action that immediately creates suspicion. I'm just thinking about how to optimize this trick principle.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:55 am

I received my Utopia Prediction Box today, and I'm very satisfied with it.

It works basically the same as Wayne Dobson's Add-ict, produced by Mark Mason :)

The 'suspicious' move is only suspicious for other magicians or the clever spectators.

I like the look of it, and you can end totally clean. You could even ditch the 'dirty' item if you wish, then spec can inspect the whole box.

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:36 am

Rob Rand wrote:It works basically the same as Wayne Dobson's Add-ict, produced by Mark Mason :)

The 'suspicious' move is only suspicious for other magicians or the clever spectators.
In that case, I'd say the advertised description is somewhat misleading, or at least lacking. After having read the description, I imagined the box would just be sitting there (in full view as advertised), but if it's the same principle as Add-ict, then the performer actually handles the box during the performance.

I just watched a video of Add-ict, and the handling does look suspicious. I'd say it would be even worse with a wooden box (why would you place the box on top of the cards?). Coming up with some patter to justify the handling may be possible, though.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:55 am

There are many ways to do the handling very casual. It IS a clever item because... No I won't tell :)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:35 pm

I assume this works like the Dream P. Box and I have never been caught. You guys are seriously overthinking this. "Muggles" don't think like we do ;). Doing this while standing completely justifies what needs to be done: you only have two hands, so how else would you open the box?!

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:35 pm

I absolutely agree David, the move can be done unnoticed, it's the 'disease' of many magicians: while spectators have no idea how it's done, magi fears that spectator see something suspicious. If your handling is smooth, nobody notices the 'dirty work'.

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:36 pm

Rob Rand wrote:It's the 'disease' of many magicians: while spectators have no idea how it's done
YES - i agree - especially if we have a particularly clever disposition with magic tricks
but to satisfy also the clever and eagle eye viewers, it can not hurt to be perfect ...