Huitzilopochtli by Thomas Pohle

Here you can discuss subjects such as Magic History, Magicians, Magic Books, Other types of magic and effects.
Steve S.

Huitzilopochtli by Thomas Pohle

Post by Steve S. » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:20 pm

Does anyone own Huitzilopochtli by Thomas Pohle? If you do, is it true that it requires magnets to make the attachment of the arms more secure. I heard that it is not necessary but helpful.

It’s a very attractive prop and convincing effect! Just wondering about the construction.

If you own it, please PM me with anything you can offer to clear up my concern. Thanks!
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

Olaf S

Re: Huitzilopochtli by Thomas Pohle

Post by Olaf S » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:45 pm

I always found the trick optically very beautiful but too obvious
I like this Chinese wall much better - But it seems to be rare ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:35 pm

I have seen a demo of Huitzilopochtli and found it to be very convincing. Different strokes for different folks I suppose. ;)

Although I like the look and design of many Thomas Pohle creations, I am not thrilled with the construction of at least some of his pieces.

Several years back, I bought a Thomas Pohle piece and was very disappointed with it. I can’t speak for all of his items but the one I bought was cheap flimsy junk!

It’s not the magic I don’t like but the poor quality of the props at least in some cases. Shinny glittery tape designs, lightweight and not very sturdy objects, and so on.

It appears that some of his creations are better quality than others at least from the look of the photos I have seen. Perhaps he went through different periods where some periods resulted in well made stuff but I really don’t have enough experience with his pieces to know.

Madison has been posting demos of some of his effects and I liked them but was suspicious of the construction of some of them. Will they last if performed with some frequency? Will they become marked up from use? These are my concerns, especially considering the high price tag in most cases. Maybe Madison can shed some light on my concerns now that he has handled his Thomas Pohle purchases.

Please PM me if you know anything about his HUITZILOPOCHTLI and the beneficial use of additional magnets or not.

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:06 am

Steve S. wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:35 pm
It’s not the magic I don’t like but the poor quality of the props at least in some cases.
Shinny glittery tape designs, lightweight and not very sturdy objects, and so on.
Will they last if performed with some frequency ?
Will they become marked up from use ?

In brief, I have some tricks from him and the quality is very sensitive !

Would claim that his creations are not among the most stable ones

Optically some tricks are quite appealing - if you like this style

The quality and durability is better suited for a display case

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:11 am

Thank you for your feedback Olaf.

It is unfortunate that such nice looking and clever props are so delicate.

He has produced many different items over the years so perhaps the quality varies.

Anyone own his Three Block Monte? If so, what is your opinion of it?

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:10 am

Olaf S wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:45 pm
I always found the trick optically very beautiful but too obvious
I like this Chinese wall much better - But it seems to be rare ...
Nice one!...where did you found it?

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:37 am

I am pretty sure that it’s a Thomas Pohle release. He has done several props using the black and yellow design.

It’s the geometric design which makes it deceptive I suppose.

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:31 am

Steve S. wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:11 am
Anyone own his Three Block Monte? If so, what is your opinion of it?
Steve - Both tricks you ask for are sold now on TMC - was it you ❓

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:58 am

Roberto B. wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:10 am
Nice one ! ... where did you found it ?
I can't remember - it was a time I was looking for T.P. tricks - I saved some pictures ...
I liked this version very much and I'm not sure if there wasn't even a second small edition
of it later, but in any case he made another special one with Donald and the Mexican Wall.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MadisonPresents

Post by MadisonPresents » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:12 pm

I will say the quality of Thomas Pohle items is very different than someone like Alan Warner or 3DMagicWorks.

They are certainly made of a lighter wood. I think this attributes to their seeming fragility. That said, I think the pieces will last and won’t break easily from wear and tear. It is just important to not drop the pieces. Treat them nicely, and I think they will treat you nicely back.

I definitely don’t think they are so fragile they can’t be performed. Leaving them in a display case would be a big waste because the effects are very strong.

Madison

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:55 am

Very true what has been said about the building quality of Thomas Pohle effects. Some of his effects I own are built a bit flimsy, even from cardboard and paper (part of The Precious Die for example is built from very thin cardboard, I would actually call it 'thick' paper).
So indeed, proper handling and taking care of the props is necessary.
One of the sides of the stand of my China Block Penetration broke off after a few performances. I still need to put it together again with some glue which is what Thomas used too.

His effects are always original and I do love most of them.

I also think his previous versions of many effects were built a bit more sturdy (he re-releases many of his old effects). They were often also much more colorfull than his re-releases.

About Huitzilopochtli: I know someone from Switzerland who owns (or owned) it and he was very unsatisfied because the trick simply didn't work. The plate that should go through the 'gap' was too thick. I also don't find it to be a very convincing trick to be honest, but that could be me thinking as a magician. I do hope yours works at least fluently Steve :)

Steve, if you mean the China Computer Trick/1-2-3 Blocks when you ask about the 3-Block Monte I can say I own a variation of it, Pikolinus 2: https://www.thomaspohle.com/product/pikolinus-ii/. It basically is the same but with playing card symbols. The effect is great, the building quality decent (mind you the Pikolinus effect is one of his earlier releases). The gimmick is something I have never seen in any trick, I think it's ingenious in its working. So a very nice trick with a very unique mechanism (no magnets, no shells, ... all the work is built into the blocks). The blocks, of course, can not be examined.

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:06 am

This is Deluxe Block Monte - A pleasing trick
But I don't like his new slide designs very much
These films can also peel off easily after a while !

bobt1
Charter Member

Post by bobt1 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:33 am

I like the effects made by Bottcher better than the later Pohle releases. Actually, I am unsure if Pohle also made the earlier Bottcher effects? They were sold by Stevens Magic about 15 years ago. I had 4 of those Bottcher effects and the quality was very good. Like you said (and others), the newer Pohle releases or re-releases seems to use cheaper and flimsy materials. Also, some of the new effects don't seem that convincng. Of the 4 that I had I like Mysterious Block of Chung-Fu and Tablets of the Pharoahs the best. Bob

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:09 am

Here is a demo of Huitzilopochtli.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jQVKL4Ka2JM

Am I the only one who finds the effect convincing?

bobt1
Charter Member

Post by bobt1 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:24 am

I would think that the circular piece has a portion that slides and presents a gap. I noticed some upward/downawrd movement when using the other portions to fasten all in place. I think a viewer would want to examine!! Maybe if it had a good locking mechanism then it would be better. But, I doubt this locks. Also, the material seems vulnerable to breakage. I would not feel secure in packing this item for shipping. I prefer the Warner Penetra and all can be examined. Bob

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:09 pm

Olaf S wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:58 am
Roberto B. wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:10 am
Nice one ! ... where did you found it ?
I can't remember - it was a time I was looking for T.P. tricks - I saved some pictures ...
I liked this version very much and I'm not sure if there wasn't even a second small edition
of it later, but in any case he made another special one with Donald and the Mexican Wall.
What's on the other side of the wall and the Trump paddle?

What did he call this one?

Does he still make this version.

Video would be good what does this do?
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:53 pm

I can only remember that it was a very limited edition and looks more robustly built
with a very funny extra surprise at the end. The other side of the wall showed Mexican
motifs and the other side of the paddle a Mexican. In the end Donald had disappeared
during a passage and what remained was a black silhouette. Was sold out very quickly

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:01 pm

Now THAT is a cool set of props! Uses clever humor and wild imagination. Looks like a hip Huitzilopochtli.

So anyway...anyone else want to criticize Huitzilopochtli? 😂

I am trying my best to no longer buy any magic. It’s time to just say no! Just enjoy what I already have and that’s it. Unless I see something I really want! :lol:

Hobbies are a challenging addiction huh? :roll:

P.S.: I want to sell off a stack of props to lighten my load. Please feel free to PM your wantlist.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:13 am

Strange ... I can't find any info on that Mexican Wall trick. I also remember getting the e-mail from Joe Long about this release and there was even a demo video ... .

I do remember it was pretty expensive and I immediately knew how it worked :D Why oh why are the stars at that location? Could it be a (well hidden) sliding panel? :o :lol:
bobt1 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:33 am
Actually, I am unsure if Pohle also made the earlier Bottcher effects?
I think I read somewhere Pohle did make those effects sold by Zauberbutike/Böttcher and others, yes, but in most cases he used different materials for sure.

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:10 pm

"In 1984 Thomas started his own business - It turned out that Eckhard Böttcher also started at the same time and so for many years Thomas built for Böttcher. In addition, he built for other retailers including: Kellerhof, Stolina, Bartl and a dealer in Austria Tony Reisner." - Quote from a TP website

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:01 pm

Steve S. wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:01 pm
Now THAT is a cool set of props! Uses clever humor and wild imagination. Looks like a hip Huitzilopochtli.

So anyway...anyone else want to criticize Huitzilopochtli? 😂

I am trying my best to no longer buy any magic. It’s time to just say no! Just enjoy what I already have and that’s it. Unless I see something I really want! :lol:

Hobbies are a challenging addiction huh? :roll:

P.S.: I want to sell off a stack of props to lighten my load. Please feel free to PM your wantlist.

From memory of the discussion when it was released, you cannot view it up close as the spectators will see the separation line, but from a short distance it looks solid. If you are looking for someone to talk you out of it, I suspect that the spectator will want to examine the plate which is of course not examinable. It is a lot of money to spend.

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:12 pm

What do they cost?

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:11 pm

I think it was around $350. I liked the design of that whole series of Pohl items. He uses a 3-D printer to make them. They were all in the >$250 price range, so I did not buy any of them.

I guess if you found it as a great deal, it would make sense for you to get a copy- if you didn't like it, you could sell it at minimal loss.

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:13 pm

I don’t own it but hopefully soon. There is something about it that I really like!

For $250 and up, I wouldn’t be interested. For less than $200, I would.

I don’t collect TP pieces but he has a few that appeal to me. If I can find them at a nice price, I would want them.

Thanks for your feedback John B.. Much appreciated... :)

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:16 pm

I found the hidden Border Wall video

https://youtu.be/IxbVIqNU4oY