Alan Warner Magic

Here you can discuss magic tricks that Tenyo enthusiast would enjoy but might not be aware of.
Rob Rand
Charter Member

Re: Alan Warner Magic

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:23 pm

Pentra leaves me without a clue. I think it’s ingenious... It makes me believe that solid through solid does exist :geek:

MadisonPresents

Post by MadisonPresents » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:27 pm

Rob Rand wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:23 pm
Pentra leaves me without a clue. I think it’s ingenious... It makes me believe that solid through solid does exist :geek:
Yes I believe Alan has come up with a way to do REAL magic ;)

I’m glad you enjoyed it, Rob. I’m sure it won’t be long before you know who comes into the thread and explains it to prove he’s smarter than everyone else Goof

Love to you, Øyvind, only kidding.

Madison

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:44 pm

I do not believe that I am smarter than everyone else, I just enjoy figuring out great tricks and learning from it. And I don't tend to actually explain other people's tricks in the open either. And yes, I did notice that you said you were kidding, but in case you weren't, just say the word and I'll stop commenting on tricks you present. I will still watch and enjoy, though. You do some very nice and smooth presentations.

As for Pentra, I did figure that one out too. At least the working principle, the actual mechanics would just be a guess, as it could be done in more than one way. However, it must be very clever, since it allows for full examination.

MadisonPresents

Post by MadisonPresents » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:54 pm

ØyvindK wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:44 pm
I do not believe that I am smarter than everyone else, I just enjoy figuring out great tricks and learning from it. And I don't tend to actually explain other people's tricks in the open either. And yes, I did notice that you said you were kidding, but in case you weren't, just say the word and I'll stop commenting on tricks you present. I will still watch and enjoy, though. You do some very nice and smooth presentations.

As for Pentra, I did figure that one out too. At least the working principle, the actual mechanics would just be a guess, as it could be done in more than one way. However, it must be very clever, since it allows for full examination.
No, I enjoy your quizzical mind :)

Yes the examinable nature puts it a step above other similar effects.

Madison

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:32 pm

Popcorn
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

MadisonPresents

Post by MadisonPresents » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:42 pm

I finally had a chance to perform Pentra for my Fiancée--she'll be my wife in 14 days!!! (August 4th.) She was flabbergasted. She examined it like nobodies business and she didn't find anything, and the look on her face was priceless. She knows so much that it's very rare to genuinely fool her to the point of not having at least SOME idea of how it was done, but this one left her with nothing.

I think it's going to be hard to beat this one.

Madison

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:01 am

Pentra is great indeed - the secret is very well hidden and locks. Unbelievable Alan Warner makes this stuff with wood ... .
Oh and congratulations with your marriage Madison!

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:44 am

David DeTenyo wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:01 am
Pentra is great indeed - the secret is very well hidden and locks
Unbelievable Alan Warner makes this stuff with wood ...
Alakazam Magic UK offers now this cheap version

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:22 am

Not nearly as good looking as Pentra, though. And somehow I also like Pentra more due to the object being pushed through has more substance to it. This cheap version uses a card/picture instead. There is an advantage to that from a technical standpoint, but in my opinion it is less convincing.

It is supposed to be examinable, though. If the price reflects the quality, I wouldn't expect much.

On a final note, I am still puzzled about how the locking of Pentra actually works, and if it really can withstand examination from anyone. If it is just a special move, I would think that a curious spectator might stumble upon it quite quickly.

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:47 am

ØyvindK wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:22 am
Not nearly as good looking as Pentra, though. And somehow I also like Pentra more due to the object
being pushed through has more substance to it. This cheap version uses a card/picture instead.

I also like the Alan Warner version much better and I think the solid wooden blade disguises the mystery much better. With this inexpensive version, I immediately had the thought of how it could work, of course, I'm no longer totally ignorant but somehow the right idea here rather pushes itself. This very cheap version seems to sell like sliced bread, which is understandable but also not a good service to the Original and its magical surprise. I don't have either of these versions, but I also think that the xxxxxx is the weak point and could certainly be improved, but with much more sophisticated craftsmanship.

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:42 am

I bought this Houdini Mini illusion and it is not that bad for this cheap price
Unfortunately - the cardboard sword is very delicate and can easily crease
Would have been better to make it out of sturdier material - for 5 extra €

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:05 am

I like Enigmatic, and I think I'll create my own version of that. I don't think there is a lot to improve, as it is obviously a simple trick, but I like it. I think it can probably fool quite a few laypeople.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:02 am

Enigmatic is a variation of Viking magics ESP-Chipsensational, but you probably already knew that Øyvind…

https://vikingmagic.com/products/esp-ch ... -and-box-2

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:09 am

Rob Rand wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:02 am
Enigmatic is a variation of Viking magics ESP-Chipsensational, but you probably already knew that Øyvind…

No, I did not. I hadn't seen that Viking trick before, but from the description it is clear that it is the same trick, just a more chips.

I have actually just created my own version now, but mine is much closer to the Warner version. Since I was already into the Egyptian theme (with the obelisk trick), I went Egyption also for this one. I'll post some pictures later today (I'll create a thread in the creator's section).

I disagree slightly with the description for the Viking trick where they write "No sleights". While that might be technically true, there is at least one moment where some care must be taken.

Do you own any of these tricks, Rob?

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:17 am

Oh, so I just saw a video of the Viking trick. They did something clever, so that the spectator doesn't have to place their chips face up, like in the Warner trick (and mine). I think I'll have to rework my trick now. And there wasn't more chips in the Viking trick, the picture just presented both colored chips and ESP symbol chips.

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:40 am

The Colored chips and ESP symbol chips
have on their backside a special G design

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:13 am

Olaf S wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:40 am
The Colored chips and ESP symbol chips
have on their backside a special G design
Yes, very nice design, and I have come up with something for my own version now (which is not to be discussed here in the open section of the forum). Pictures coming up later tonight. Not sure if there's a point in creating a video, though. Maybe, we'll see.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:13 am

ØyvindK wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:09 am
Rob Rand wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:02 am

No, I did not. I hadn't seen that Viking trick before, but from the description it is clear that it is the same trick, just a more chips.

I have actually just created my own version now, but mine is much closer to the Warner version. Since I was already into the Egyptian theme (with the obelisk trick), I went Egyption also for this one. I'll post some pictures later today (I'll create a thread in the creator's section).

I disagree slightly with the description for the Viking trick where they write "No sleights". While that might be technically true, there is at least one moment where some care must be taken.

Do you own any of these tricks, Rob?
Well, I have a version meant for children of this effect, in a magic box from Melissa&Doug.
So I didn’t feel the need to buy the Viking version.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:29 am

Alan Warner, now in his eighties, is sadly no longer taking any more orders - I wish him a peaceful and well earned retirement. Luckily for us in the magical community his fabulous magic lives on. If you're lucky enough to find any of his effects for sale, now's a great time to invest in them - you won't regret your purchase!