Mini Tangram Paradox

Here you can discuss magic tricks that Tenyo enthusiast would enjoy but might not be aware of.
Rob Rand
Charter Member

Mini Tangram Paradox

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:45 pm

Here’s a new variation of Tenyo’s Perpetual Puzzle, which is a variation of the well known Winston. Freer puzzle
0B8A97D0-6E7B-481E-878A-0379A0A1D136.jpeg
I think this is the ultimate version:
Mini Tangram Paradox (MTP) is truly a masterpiece that you and your audience will love.

Every MTP is made with top quality walnut, perfect for the performer and collector.

A wooden puzzle fits perfectly inside of a frame. The performer adds a new small piece, and he can rebuild the puzzle! Then he adds another bigger piece, and he rebuilds the puzzle again! The puzzle still forms the same exact size rectangle, and it fits perfectly inside the same frame!!

MTP uses a brand new method. There is no palming, no stealing, and no shell. And its size is so small that you can carry it with you anytime and anywhere!
I think it’s amazing!

How does this work??? I have no idea! It’s so clean!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Richard W
Global Moderator

Re: Mini Tangram Paradox

Post by Richard W » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:57 pm

Oh cool a wood version. Did you get one, how big is this. Where do you buy one is it expensive? I do notice it is square not rectangle.
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:10 pm

The cost is $100. :(
Just a bit much for me.

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:07 pm

It appears to be for sale all over the place for the same $100 price.

That seems to be quite expensive for such a tiny puzzle.
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:20 pm

Wow $100.00 is more than I would want to spend either. But would like to have one in thick wood like this. With all the high cost of things posted now the magic has left building for me. Remember when it didn't break the bank to go get many different effects for under 100.00 that were great, go home with them and be happy for months. Now it is spend $100.00 to $400.00 every month and be disappointed and likely have to make it work after you get it. I do like this as I liked the thick wood of the original Freer puzzle. Anyone with a minimum of skills can just make one just like this for $20.00 or less. Just easier to buy one made but $100.00 you can have other things much more amazing.

Surprised someone hasn't made a Freer Puzzle or this variant with 3D printing.

Maybe "you know who" will make me one. Hysterical

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2LW_F1Eexuk

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:41 am

That is interesting. It should most definitely be possible to make with a 3D-printer, but I am not sure I actually know exactly how it works. If all that is used is what you see, and nothing is gimmicked, then it would appear it is all about distributing the gaps in such a way that it appears the whole thing is the same size all the time.

The Tenyo version is gimmicked, if I remember correctly?

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:46 am

The video started with the 10 pcs formation and it was cut become suddenly 8 pcs formation and by adding 2 other pieces, we will get again the 10 pcs formation (as we see at the starting position). So we don`t know what happen actually in between. That was the 100 bucks secret. No trying to show off but so far I have collected 4 different methods of doing this. Not sure if I should go with this one :) :) The prop looks really good and the size is really nice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:57 am

Nono wait Victor... yes the video starts with the final assembly with the 10 pieces. But I looked very carefully at the steps that were made, and the puzzle starts with 8 pieces, one square piece added, rebuilt, another longer piece added, rebuilt, so you end with 10 pieces. Yet it still fits.

BTW nice collection you have Victor!

At The Magic Cafe buyers acknowledge that it is a very clever method...

I took the plunge and ordered a copy at Dynamitemagic... Will receive it tomorrow.

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:28 am

Nice collection of those Victor!

I always liked that puzzle but never focused on a collection of them. I do have the Tenyo version and the chocolate bar.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:33 am

Thank you guys. Can't wait to read your review. This must be something different and clever.

The white one was the first puzzle I made myself with cardboard. It has shell in it.The yellow one is from china, magnetic and nicely made out of wood. The chocolate bar and the colorful one has same method that we can watch in youtube.The one with the blue print is Tenyo with puzzle tiles made by our Simon. My favorite :)

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:35 pm

I received my copy of Mini Tangram Paradox today.
F385F3D9-BF25-4C95-AA60-D6BBBEDF137C.jpeg
It comes in a beautiful black box, a big box!

But the item itself is very small! It measures 9x7,5 cm, the pieces alone.

The pieces are made of beautiful wood and fit perfectly.

Is the secret groundbreaking? Not really, yet something I haven’t seen before... So yes, it is clever.

Do you need this if you already have one or more versions? Not really.

In this version, no palming is needed because of a clever solution, but for the rest it’s the same as the other variations.

But it is a quality piece. Oh yes, a wonderful string bag is added.

Is it examinable? Yes, frame and pieces are examinable, because these are ungimmicked.

Do I like it? Yes I like it! I like that it’s small and very well made, and very easy to perform, thanks to the clever idea.

Are you enough bored now? Then I will stop.

Popcorn

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:01 pm

Thanks for the review Rob!

I would buy it in a heartbeat if it wasn’t so darn expensive. Like $50 seems fair for it.

Welcome to the expensive 21st century...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:12 pm

I never get bored hearing from you Rob :) Thanks for sharing :) Do you give us a hint by showing the picture? especially the "pieces" on the right side? :) By the way the color of the 2 biggest pieces and 1 small piece are extremely different (darker than the others)

lnlver

Mini Tangram Paradox

Post by lnlver » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:47 pm

Rob, can you please make an unedited video of your performance of this trick?

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:17 pm

I too would like to see and unedited demo. What makes this version more amazing? For $100.00 with such small pieces it should be made from same color of wood. That is a drastic difference on those 3 dark pieces. :shock:

lnlver

Mini Tangram Paradox

Post by lnlver » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:52 am

Richard W - it's a common characteristic of the species of walnut. I agree with you completely that for $100, the builder should have selected better boards when making the puzzle. Dark brown walnut is one of the best woods and I like to work with it.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:16 pm

VictorS wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:12 pm
I never get bored hearing from you Rob :) Thanks for sharing :) Do you give us a hint by showing the picture? especially the "pieces" on the right side? :) By the way the color of the 2 biggest pieces and 1 small piece are extremely different (darker than the others)
Victor, yes there are color diferences, but that is clearly done purposely ... to confuse the spectator...

Another thing that is different from most other variations, is the added wooden plate under the blocks...

I will make a vide, and my videos are always unedited...

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:05 pm

So Rob...if you don’t mind me asking, why is the stock photo in the ad which you posted at first a better variety of woods than what you received?

I know each set can’t possibly be identical due to the nature of wood but, your set has serious contrast in wood that stands out like a sore thumb.

It is puzzling why such a drastic difference from one set to another. For $100, great care should have been taken to be more consistent. No?

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:04 am

Thanks Rob. Look forward to watch your performance. Can't wait :)

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:31 pm

Steve S. wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:05 pm
So Rob...if you don’t mind me asking, why is the stock photo in the ad which you posted at first a better variety of woods than what you received?

I know each set can’t possibly be identical due to the nature of wood but, your set has serious contrast in wood that stands out like a sore thumb.

It is puzzling why such a drastic difference from one set to another. For $100, great care should have been taken to be more consistent. No?
I agree and do understand that walnut has light to dark grain. But with such small pieces I see no excuse that the pieces don't have a much closer match to them. With larger projects with bigger pieces it would transcend from the light to dark but with small shaped pieces this contrast is extreme. When I got out of high school I went to work for Henry Naars Fine Furniture and Cabinets had to match wood all the time. Made all the desks for Continental Banks all walnut 1000's of them. Something small like this puzzle I see no real excuse to not match pieces as close as possible. If I ordered this and got that one with the 3 dark pieces they would be getting it back for exchange or refund. Now Rob on the other hand likes multi colored designs so I can see why it doesn't bother him. Wait and see what it looks like in the video after pieces are added if it is more confusing or helps them so see what happened. :geek:

Popcorn

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:06 pm

Yes, I have the impression that the arrangement of the different puzzle pieces is done more or less at random.

Here is my demo video:

https://youtu.be/XuPM-nlIZJI

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:18 pm

Very nice presentation! I like it!!

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:37 pm

Rob

Very nice video I like it too. Can the frame be put on each time you add a piece or only at the beginning and end stage?

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:41 pm

Nice work Rob! :)

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:50 pm

Richard W wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:37 pm
Rob

Very nice video I like it too. Can the frame be put on each time you add a piece or only at the beginning and end stage?
Yes only at the beginning and the end. All versions work that way.