The Ribbon Clock Time Machine

This section contains the magic created by our very talented members.

The Ribbon Clock Time Machine

Postby ØyvindK » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:09 am

I've been working on a new trick lately, and finally I got my prototype to work properly. It has been quite an undertaking, and with more than one setback along the way. Quite a bit of wasted plastic too, because in practice things often does not correspond with theory.

The trick is new in how it works (at least I think it might be), but in itself it's still the age-old cut and restored ribbon trick. However, I've packaged it into what I think are nice looking props and a nice routine, but you be the judge, of course. Here are a few pictures of my trick, which I've named "The Ribbon Clock Time Machine":

picture4.jpg

picture5.jpg

picture7.jpg

picture8.jpg

picture9.jpg

I'm not adding a written description (you only get the pictures), as I will be making a video of it, but now you have an idea of what's coming. One question though, I wanted to inscribe the clock face with a latin translation of "Time flies backwards", or "Time flies in reverse" to point out that this is a time machine of sorts. "Time flies" is of course easy (Tempus fugit), but I wasn't really sure about the backwards/reverse part, so I just settled with the word "Retro", as can be seen in the pictures. So, if anybody in here has a better suggestion, I'm all ears.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ØyvindK

National Flag:
Norway

Re: The Ribbon Clock Time Machine

Postby Simon Layland » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:24 am

Now you have made something absolutely outstanding Øyvind , This is brilliant on many levels and is totally unique to all that goes before it, double cut and two different styles of clock, I hope you offer to sell these before someone takes the idea.
I look forward to the video.
Simon from Aus (but English)
Simon Layland

National Flag:
Great Britain

Postby David DeTenyo » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:40 am

Brilliant. Let us know when they come up for sale please 8-)
David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

National Flag:
Belgium

Postby PeterW » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:52 am

Love it! What about using "Time machine" in Latin? I think the reverse lettering may add too much confusion.
PeterW

National Flag:
Canada

Postby ØyvindK » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:20 am

Too early to say it's brilliant, guys! You haven't seen the performance yet. You may be disappointed.

PeterW, yes, that's not a bad idea. I tried looking it up, and it seems either "Tempus machina" (the most literal translation") or perhaps "Machina temporis", which would mean "machine of time", or thereabouts. Perhaps I could leave "Tempus fugit" where it is, and just replace "Retro" with "Machina temporis", or would that be too much?
ØyvindK

National Flag:
Norway

Postby VictorS » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:12 am

Oh wow...I really love the time machine idea. Absolutely brilliant ! I really hope you succeed this project :)
VictorS

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby EvanS » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:46 pm

Wow, Øyvind! I love it! Pairing it with a clock (Time Machine) makes perfect sense. Looking forward to the video...
EvanS

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby ØyvindK » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:19 pm

Ok then, it is with pride (and quite a bit of fear) I present you the video of me performing this trick:

Does it look alright? Is it even remotely fooling? Don't hold back, I can take it!
ØyvindK

National Flag:
Norway

Postby PeterW » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:40 pm

OMG! Øyvind this is most definitely brilliant!!! I love the theme and how turning back time winds in the center piece of ribbon, I love the refiguring of the clock, and I love the fact that I have no idea how the ribbon appears to be pulled unscathed from the clock! Definitely brilliant piece of magic apparatus! Well done!!!

P.s. I also like the shirt your wearing, very appropriate for the effect!
PeterW

National Flag:
Canada

Postby EvanS » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:00 pm

Peter just said everything I was about to say, including the kudos for the t-shirt (most appropriate).

Really wonderful!
EvanS

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby ØyvindK » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:24 pm

Thanks, I'm very happy you liked it! The t-shirt is actually just a lucky strike, I didn't wear that on purpose. It is actually a t-shirt I was given after participating in a bike race going from Bergen to Voss (which I did a couple of times), but this was in the year 2012. The theme on the t-shirt was absolutely fitting to this trick, though!
ØyvindK

National Flag:
Norway

Postby Simon Layland » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:52 pm

Even better than I imagined
Simon from Aus (but English)
Simon Layland

National Flag:
Great Britain

Postby MadisonPresents » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:11 pm

This is so good and very fooling! Congrats :) PLEASE let me know if you decide to make a run.

Madison
MadisonPresents

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby VictorS » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:57 pm

ABSOLUTELY PERFECT !
VictorS

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby David DeTenyo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:33 am

Excellent! Quick question though, can the ribbon be pulled from left to right (and right to left) at the beginning of the trick?
David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

National Flag:
Belgium

Postby ØyvindK » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:50 am

Thanks, glad you all like it! I don't know if I will make more of these, but there is a definite chance. It would not be very cheap, though. There is a bit of work involved, and a lot of hours of printing for just one, so I'd say less than $100 USD is highly unlikely. There are also some components that must be purchased (can't be 3D-printed, at least not at this size).

David, yes that is possible, but for reasons I don't want to get into, I find it better to do it like I did in my video (and perhaps especially since it is on video).
ØyvindK

National Flag:
Norway

Postby David DeTenyo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:14 am

Thanks for the clarification.
I think no one was expecting this to be a cheap item ØyvindK; a price higher then 100 USD seems justified to me.
David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

National Flag:
Belgium

Postby VictorS » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:37 am

If you sold this 20 or 30 years ago to Tenyo. You would be definitely now one of the Tenyo inventor ;)
VictorS

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby Rob Rand » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:51 am

Øyvind, you really surpassed yourself!

For me, a ribbon trick lover, it was an exciting experience to see your baffling creation, and what a great idea to incorporate the clock idea!

And yes, I have no idea how you realized this technically speaking!

I have one suggestion: why not use a reverse clock

Run_Backwards_Wall_Clock.jpg

or this one

1-Piece-Backwards-Quartz-Clock-Modern-Reverse-Wall-Clock-Creative-Art-Wall-Decor-Time-Clock-12.jpg_220x220.jpg

I believe we have new Ribbon Master! :)

And yes, if you make more copies, please put me on your list!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Rand
Charter Member

National Flag:
Netherlands

Postby ØyvindK » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:07 am

VictorS wrote:If you sold this 20 or 30 years ago to Tenyo. You would be definitely now one of the Tenyo inventor ;)

I'm flattered, but I'm not sure if Tenyo would have been interested. :-)

Rob Rand wrote:I believe we have new Ribbon Master! :)

I would never dream of claiming that title, you are the true ribbon master, I'm merely the apprentice. But again, I'm flattered, and coming from you it means a lot!

I actually thought about using a reverse clock face, but in the end I decided against, just on gut feeling. However, I may reconsider if you all think that's a better idea. After all, this is still just a prototype, and changing the clock face is the easiest thing to do, as that's just a 2D-graphic that is printed on a normal inkjet printer.

One member suggested printing this in black with a red base, which I think will look very good. If I am going to make more of these, it will be good to use standard colors, and I would not want to have many versions.
ØyvindK

National Flag:
Norway

Postby Rob Rand » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:10 am

Ok maybe you're right, a reverse clock is perhaps over the top and doesn't match the classic clock design.

Please always remember that it's your creation, and if you're happy with it, then it's good. Anyway, that's always my point of view if I make something of Lego :)

Hmm a black colored one with a red base is a good suggestion :)

But you decide Øyvind!
Rob Rand
Charter Member

National Flag:
Netherlands

Postby ØyvindK » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:50 am

Yes, of course I decide, but I'm also open for suggestions. I may not always be right, you know.

I made a minor change to the clock face, and rendered it in black with a red base:

render_black_and_red.jpg

I think it looks quite nice in this color combination, what do you think?
ØyvindK

National Flag:
Norway

Postby BillD » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:49 am

WOW...the Black and Red combination is stunning!!. It just gets better and better.
BillD

National Flag:
France

Postby David DeTenyo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:05 am

The black - red is very nice indeed, however the brown one looks more 'authentic' ... tough to decide which one I prefer :)
By the way, the black one looks smoother along the edges, or does that have to do with the way you took/adjusted the photo?
David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

National Flag:
Belgium

Postby Rob Rand » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:08 am

Yes I agree with BillD... black with red looks more impressive, not to say FANTASTIC!
Rob Rand
Charter Member

National Flag:
Netherlands

Next

Return to Magic Creators