T-153 Diabolicus

This section is where members gather and provide a variety of information about specific Tenyo Magic Tricks

Please Rate T-153 Diabolicus

10 One of the Best
20%
09 Superior
10%
08 Excellent
30%
07 Very Good
10%
06 Pretty Good
20%
05 Good
10%
04 OK
No votes
03 Not So Good
No votes
02 Bad
No votes
01 One of the Worst
No votes

Total votes: 10

SimonC
Global Moderator

T-153 Diabolicus

Post by SimonC » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:13 pm

Name: Diabolicus

T-Number: T-153

Inventor: Hiroshi Kondo

Year: 1991

PICTURES of T-153 Diabolicus

VIDEO of T-153 Diabolicus

T-153 Diabolicus on PLANET TENYO
Now you see me...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Re: T-153 Diabolicus

Post by SimonC » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:17 pm

Evening all :) I thought I'd start a conversation for the weekend about Diabolicus.
It's VERY sneaky and almost bullet-proof in it's examinability. I gave it an 8 as it's not quite as portable as I'd like I'd love to be able to pull it out of my pocket and perform it however I'm worried about the 'magic' peeling away or getting damaged. If it could have been more permanent this trick would be nigh on perfect.
It's very elegant :)
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:45 am

I really like this trick. It fits what makes Tenyo, well, Tenyo: examinable, easy to do and so very clever. It is a pretty standard/basic mentalism routine - place something somewhere and the magician knows what has been chosen.

I'm giving this an 8/10, because it is so clever and even today the 'gimmick' is unique.

As most of you know there is a variation by Milton Bradley in the Magic Works series, however that one is much harder to read than Tenyo's version, but it is therefore perhaps a bit more examinable ... .

Use this in combination with something else, I see it more as a way to determine a chosen symbol (as in a utility device) than a stand alone effect.

However, I don't use this one a lot. I bought Promystic's Multidimensional a couple of years ago and that one does exactly the same, but it is electronic which makes it even more easy to do and more baffling (as in: you don't need a box, you don't have to look at the die, you can even be in another room).
This is for sure a trick every Tenyo collector should have, but I advice everyone that wants to buy it as a performance piece in their routines (and not merely buy it for its collectability) not to spend a fortune on this one. In stead you might want to save for an electronic version of this trick (there are other, less expensive electronic variations available than MD).

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:29 am

perhaps it could be used by a spectator to place their selection in for another trick. so to them it's function is purely to prove they haven't changed their mind
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:58 pm

SimonC wrote:perhaps it could be used by a spectator to place their selection in for another trick. so to them it's function is purely to prove they haven't changed their mind
Exactly :)

By the way, perhaps it does seem like I was a little harsh in my previous comment, suggesting you could better buy something else, but this is only because Diabolicus has become so darn expensive ... . There's one for sale for 200 USD I believe, and in my opinion for someone who buys tricks mainly to perform them, this is just too high for the basic effect/device you're buying - as in: there are better alternatives (the concept of the trick isn't that unique thesedays: place something in a box and you know what side is up). If you're a collector (or semi-collector) of Tenyo magic you might want to pay this price however. Afterall something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I'm actually planning to write an article on my website about prices of discontinued Tenyo effects. Some are starting to go through the roof again (Tenyoism might be a reason), and often there are equal or even better alternatives, non Tenyo of course, but basically the same tricks ... .

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:17 pm

David DeTenyo wrote:
SimonC wrote:perhaps it could be used by a spectator to place their selection in for another trick. so to them it's function is purely to prove they haven't changed their mind
Exactly :)

By the way, perhaps it looks like I was a little harsh in my review, suggesting you could better buy something else, but this is only because Diabolicus has become so darn expensive ... . There's one for sale for 200 USD I believe, and in my opinion for someone who buys tricks mainly to perform them, this is just too high for the basic effect/device you're buying - as in: there are better alternatives (the concept of the trick isn't that unique thesedays: place something in a box and you know what side is up). If you're a collector (or semi-collector) of Tenyo magic you might want to pay this price however. Afterall something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I'm actually planning to write an article on my website about prices of discontinued Tenyo effects. Some are starting to go through the roof again (Tenyoism might be a reason), and often there are equal or even better alternatives, non Tenyo of course, but basically the same tricks ... .
I agree. I was considering getting Diabolicus for all of 48 hours because of the compact, and what I thought was, travel friendliness; but that price tag. Oi vey. Enough to turn most away.

Same for Undercover Cube. Used to go for $35-$40. It's price has doubled--for the generic US packaged one. There's one going for $60 right now. That's the cheapest I have seen in the last year.
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:24 pm

it's not as portable as it looks because you can't put it straight into your pocket, it needs to be in something else to protect the magic. and you can't even buy the magic stuff anymore so I can't make a nice wooden one!
Now you see me...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 pm

SimonC wrote:it's not as portable as it looks because you can't put it straight into your pocket, it needs to be in something else to protect the magic. and you can't even buy the magic stuff anymore so I can't make a nice wooden one!
Why not get a Magic Works one and take it apart? They go for usually $35

Or does it not work like that?

I'm also the worst at engineering anything :p
Last edited by Brett H on Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:36 pm

is the magic works one the slightly more medieval one? I didn't realise they went for less thanks for the tip. I'd love to make a wooden totem to put inside
Now you see me...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:56 pm

SimonC wrote:is the magic works one the slightly more medieval one? I didn't realise they went for less thanks for the tip. I'd love to make a wooden totem to put inside
It is indeed the medieval themed one; The Knights Tomb, if I recall correctly. I'll keep my eyes open
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:59 pm

that's the one. it looks cool I just googled it :)
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:06 pm

Either the magnets used in the MB one aren't strong enough, or the special strip isn't as strong. The fact remains that the MB version (which I doubt sells for much less to be honest?) is harder to 'read' ... .

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:48 pm

I think I'd prefer one that was harder to read just so it was harder to spot if that makes sense. in the context of this trick it's belt and braces, the safer the better :)
here's a question for anyone who has both...
can you put the 'block' from one into the 'case' of the other?
Now you see me...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:57 pm

SimonC wrote:I think I'd prefer one that was harder to read just so it was harder to spot if that makes sense. in the context of this trick it's belt and braces, the safer the better :)
here's a question for anyone who has both...
can you put the 'block' from one into the 'case' of the other?
I don't have either, however i do know that the only Magic Works I know of that they actually had to change a prop was Crystal Pyramid/Coin in the Crypt. Instead of a plastic pointy pyramid, it was a clear rectangular tomb.
And Phantom Key/Zone Infinity where instead of the rubber piece holding a 100 Yen coin, it fit a quarter

I don't see why the blocks on either 'Tomb or Diabolucus wouldn't work with each other. But seeing as how one is hard to read and the other is not, I figure doing the switch would make it hard to read by proxy.
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:11 pm

orrrr... make it easier?
Now you see me...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:18 pm

SimonC wrote:orrrr... make it easier?
Good question. From what I understand about Tomb, it's sort of a 'binary' read so once the gimmicks work, I figure you either get your read or you don't. I figure that even with a 'weaker' block gimmick, you could still get a strong read
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:22 pm

ahh I see. perhaps one gimmick is stronger than the other. I'll have to nab an MB one and do some tests #science
Now you see me...

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:09 am

I have two different Tenyo ones. One is very easy to read and one is harder. Not sure why. Maybe they originally made it easier and then came out with a harder one or maybe one just deteriorated a little and became easier to read.
I also have the MB one and I personally didn't find it much harder than the Tenyo version. I believe I tried switching the blocks around and didn't notice any difference.
I try to take a picture of all 3 tomorrow so you can see the difference yourself.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:44 am

awesome thanks Elliot :)
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:55 am

The blocks can be switched, but I think it was a very tight fit ... .
Brett, it is no binary read. Each symbol gives a different 'read' if that makes sense :)

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:46 am

Alright I'm not very good at taking pictures. Hope these are somewhat clear enough to get the idea.
Diabolicus1.jpg[/attachment [attachment=0]Diabolicus2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:00 pm

Very interesting seeing them next to eachother - thanks.
It almost seems that the first (?) batch of Diabolicus has a more greenish, easier to read band. The newer batches (including the MB version) used a similar but harder to read band?

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:18 pm

Cool pics! I think I have the greener Diabolicus. The others look less conspicuous I think
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:15 pm

Thanks for sharing the pics Elliot, it really great to have comparison on 3 of them. I think we need a little bit of practice to read them and sometime it takes me short time to familiarize it again. For me Diabolicus is one of the best. I look it from the point of view when the product was released 1991. Creating a new hands off, non electronic prop, un-detected "secret weapon" technology in that year is very impressive in my opinion. To remake this, how about using the pole sensor foil card. Is it possible ?
http://www.guysmagnets.com/view-product ... card/img/2
I think it should work and now the neod is easily available on market.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:33 am

oohhhhh.... :D
Now you see me...