First Information about the 2015 Tenyo Tricks

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Re: First Information about the 2015 Tenyo Tricks

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:27 am

Pete1805 wrote:Is there a knack of getting the pin on the butterfly i dont want to break it.
It requires some force. Carefully bend the wings of the butterfly a litle bit outwards (there's a slit on them) so you can clip it on the pin rather then 'push' it on from above (that doesn't work). Don't worry, the butterflies are pretty good material.

Pete1805

Post by Pete1805 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:40 am

Thanks David working fine lots of ideas for other items :D

jayadkins

Post by jayadkins » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:03 pm

My disc in the alchemist is made of metal not plastic?

Also the butterfly has a slit in its head so to get it on the pin all you do is just slide it on. It will clip round the pin

My question about the alchemist is this and ill try to be cryptic in my question so not to spoil it.

" The foam with the gimmick is it ok to stick round the rim it to the plastic with the C.. O.." as im finding it that it can ride up when the ball is I.....ed"

Hope this is understandable

Shan

Post by Shan » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:02 pm

Okay.... I scratched the alchemist disc on it already....

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:39 pm

Brett H wrote:The thing that surprised me the most in your reviews was that the disk that comes with The Alchemist is PLASTIC, of all things. I don't know if John mentioned it, but it's the first time that it really got ingrained into my head.

'PLASTIC?!'

David is losing his mind again. So sad for someone so young. :roll:

Not only is the disk made of metal as jayadkins says, but the damage that David mentions he did to his disk in his review is not a problem. There is a clear plastic covering that protects the metal until you are ready to use it. Just like the thin plastic film that comes on cell phone screens or parts of electronics. From the downloadable English instructions for The Alchemist "peel off the protective film from the surface of the metal disc, and discard."

Both David and Shan should be thrilled to read this. ;)

My suggestion for this trick is to just use the coin without the metal plate attached. Changing the metal ball into the coin is enough, especially since the change from slug to coin is very obvious. I mention this in the Performance Notes for the review of T-261.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:58 am

Just re-read the manual and you are right. I will adjust my review accordingly, however you have to admit that the disc really FEELS like it's made from plastic,:) But this is probably because it is so incredibly thin so you won't notice any height difference when it is attached to the coin.
I will remove the protective sheet and see if the scratch I made is gone.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:39 pm

having fun with my escape and butterfky. good quality props on the whole, great escape looks like it will have its own repairs section on the forum in a couple of years similar to sidetrack, the lock feels a bit flimsy but the trick works really well. could you use the ball from alchemy of magic to link the two? and does the metal plate fit in security of magic?
I found with the butterfly cards you can show the tip of the blue butterfly as you display it as green just to sell the fact there's nothing moody going on
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Now you see me...

justme-Rick

Post by justme-Rick » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:53 pm

Just got my 5 from Amiami, can't wait to dig in and have some fun..........

TomG

Post by TomG » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:42 pm

I preordered my 2015 items from a shop in the US. Does anyone have any information on when the shops here might be receiving shipments of the 2015 items? I was told they're still waiting for them to arrive.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:03 pm

I thought US stores would be getting them in the middle of December
Where's my colon?!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:41 am

Magicshopnl speaks of 'end november/beginning december' so I think middle of december would certainly be doable for most shops in the USA.

Pete1805

Post by Pete1805 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:43 am

I ordered mine from SEO in America but they came from Japan a few days ago :D

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:00 am

Hitomi was super fast and combined shipping :) I have half the range now
Now you see me...

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:44 am

Finally got the tricks in yesterday and had a chance to play around with them and perform them for family.
So far I like all of the tricks. I think they are all pretty good and worth getting.
Here are some initial thoughts:

The Alchemist - I thought this one was the weakest of the group but my younger kids really liked it. In fact this was their favorite by far. They really liked the squishing effect and thought the whole trick was really cool. They kept wanting to try out this one all day. They did not seem to mind that the transformation to the coin was a little obvious.
I think it would have been nice if instead of the disc it came with a magnetic shell of some kind so you can use a raven or similar gadget to transform it to a coin. Although maybe you probably just buy your own and use that instead.
Also, one of my kids noticed that you can pretend to squeeze the plates together with your thumbs a little longer and while doing so you can use your other fingers to move the ball to a different part of the plate. Now when you open the discs up you can simply pluck off the metal disc and there is nothing to see. Then if you want you can place the disc back on to the other plate and squish them together again to create the coin.
Don't know if it will ruin the gimmick at all but I think it looks pretty nice.

Security Lock - Everyone really liked this one and it was my older kids' favorite. It is just something a little different and we were all impressed by the clever gimmick. We tend like tricks that bring a smile to your face when you find out how it works. It is really simple but we would have never thought of it. Of course this one is probably the trickiest to perform because it is put in the spectator's hand but cannot be examined at all. You really need a spectator who will follow directions and to keep a close eye on it.
The second trick is not that great but it's really a free bonus trick so can't complain :)

Magic Butterfly - My kids didn't like this one as much as I thought they would. I'm not sure why. Probably my performance. I just did the standard one with the box from the instructions. I think it is a real nice looking trick and the box can be used as a utility device to do all sorts of changes with lots of possibilities(cocoon to butterfly for instance). I thought the way the big black box was gimmicked was kind of clever but it is a little awkward to use.
A number of people mentioned using a handkerchief, but I forget, did anyone mention using a haunted hanky? You can pretend to catch the butterfly with the hanky and then show it trying to escape. Then slam it on top of the box to catch the butterfly. Then you could use John's idea for using a Ballerina Hank to let it go again.

Great Escape - I don't have Die through Mirror so I can only compare it to the videos I saw. I think the original looks more professional but I think being able to see the die as it drops through is very visual and the locking mechanism is nice as well. I don't know if it will withstand a thorough inspection yet. My kids found the lock but I'll have to try it out on people that have not seen 200 Tenyo tricks to have a better idea. :)
So after one day's play I'd say I'm having fun with them. Unlike some other years there aren't any that I just tried once and then put away in my cabinet.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:33 am

Thanks for the reviews Elliot! Nice idea with the haunted hanky!

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:38 pm

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the new tricks.

So great that you can share your love for magic with your children.

BobD
Charter Member

Post by BobD » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:07 am

Hi to all!

I just came back from a wonderful vacation in Korea. I attended FISM ASIA 2014 in Inchon and spent a few more days in Seoul. The convention was excellent. The stage and close-up contest acts were very good.The shows were great but I was not able to see them all. I was not also able to attend any magic lecture because I was mostly in the dealers room. Seo Magic and Sugawara Magic were there. Here are some of the items I bought from the dealers:
2014-11-16 16.40.31(1).jpg
Cointum Tunneling is a good trick, very Tenyo-like. I asked for a demonstration but was not impressed because the effect that was showed to me was that a single coin placed in a plastic container becomes two. Fortunately I remembered the video that Rob Rand posted and after watching it again I realized that it is the same trick. What makes this trick effective is that you can have the container examined after the trick.

Security Lock as I expected uses the same principle as the trick in one of Cellini's books. In Cellini's trick, the spectator cannot remove the deck of cards from the case but the magician can easily do it. The Tenyo version greatly improves the card case and deck version.

I opened and examined Magic Butterfly but was not able to read the instructions yet. I think that it is a clever trick though.

I have not yet opened the other tricks but I think that Security Lock will be my favorite. I have performed it only once and my presentation is about a remote control lock and am satisfied with the result.

The total cost of all four Tenyo items is $70. I was able to save on shipping but some of the boxes are slightly damage because they were tightly packed in my luggage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:48 am

Nice review guys. Wow..thanks.

I have currently same favorite 2015 product like Simon: The Magic Butterfly and The Great Escape . What a coincidence. I just received it yesterday from my friend who made business trip to Tokyo-Japan last week and I would say we will get really great price buying Tenyo directly in Japan. Of course not considering the flight or shipping cost ;) So if you have relatives who live in or go to Japan, would be great if they can help you to buy Tenyo there. Please correct me if I`m wrong. Maybe Shan or other team member have more experience about this. Below pic shows you prices on both products, if I recalculate it we can get The Magic Butterfly for about 12 USD and The Great Escape for 14 USD. My friend bought them in toy store in area called Akihabara and the store was Yodobashi-Akiba. Yes at the end it is logical to get something cheaper at the production country.

It is quite interesting to see how both tricks work. I haven`t performed it yet and still practicing on it.

Cheers,
Vic

Pete1805

Post by Pete1805 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:35 am

Had another set of Tenyo 2015 tricks from Merlins of Wakefield today with free Magic Pop Up :D

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:22 pm

Finally got around to checking out the new line- activities with moving into a new home have kept me busy! I have the original Ali Bongo's thru the Looking Glass, so I was very eager to see what Tenyo did with it. This is also among my favorite effects.

The locking mechanism in the Tenyo version is a great idea, but way too flimsy. This is one that needs to be re-done in metal with a solid lock. The frame should be black anodized aluminum- this would be incredible!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:04 am

good shout john, that's my main bug bear with this one. the lock doesn't really make it examinable, just easier for the performer to handle after the trick. I can see the tab in the lock snapping/wearing away quickly. as I said earlier, this is a great trick but I can see it having its own 'how to repair your great escape' thread in a year or so. an ali one would be wicked.
congratulations on the new house, hope you get settled in soon, have you managed to earmark a corner for your Magic and automatons?
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:37 am

Yes....agree with both of you John B and Simon and others for The Great Escape feedback. If we look at the instruction page 3 "Optional Clean-Up" I`m not really comfortable to execute the move because I`m afraid that the handling will damage the cloth. The cloth itself is very2 fragile in my opinion. I don`t know if I`m the only one who have this problem or happen also to you guys. I`m seeking another move which could be easier and comfortable to execute. Would be great if we can have some sharing about this. Thanks guys.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:08 pm

Four unopened Tenyos, received today from Magicshop.nl, they were quick!
Let the fun begin...
IMG_20141127_180315~3.jpg

FredA

Post by FredA » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:44 pm

Gah! I'm so jealous on everyone! I want my Tenyo's NOW!

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:44 am

I came up with a new presentation for T-260 Security Lock.

It is called Houdini Lock-Up and can be seen here.